[csaa-forum] 9th Meeting of The Luce Irigaray Circle Call for Papers

Laura Roberts laura.roberts at uq.edu.au
Fri Jan 19 11:07:25 ACST 2018

9th Meeting of The Luce Irigaray Circle
Call for Papers

Horizons of Sexual Difference:
work on or inspired by Luce Irigaray
June 14-16, 2018

The gestures and words that we have to invent will be appropriate therefore to an opening outside the horizon of the identical, of the similar, of the familiar to one alone.   —Luce Irigaray

Keynote Speakers
Mary K. Bloodsworth-Lugo
Department of Critical Culture, Gender & Race Studies
Washington State University
Rachel Jones
Department of Philosophy
George Mason University
Irene Watson
Aboriginal Leadership and Strategy, School of Law
University of South Australia
Tanganekald, Meintangk, Boandik First Nations

The Department of Philosophy, with the support of the Faculty of Humanities at Brock University, will host the 9th meeting of The Luce Irigaray Circle in a three-day interdisciplinary conference devoted to scholarship and creative work on, or inspired by, the thought of Luce Irigaray at the Marilyn I. Walker School of Fine and Performing Arts at the Brock downtown campus.
Luce Irigaray’s thinking has far-reaching influence across a number of disciplines and practices including Philosophy, the Natural Sciences, Women’s Health, Literature and Literary Criticism, Women’s and Gender Studies, Religious Studies, Indigenous Studies, Political Theory, Classics, Linguistics, Architecture, Performance Studies, Music, Sound Studies, Feminist Legal theory, Art and Aesthetic practices, etc. The Circle seeks to generate new possibilities for thinking sexual difference by honouring and supporting interdisciplinarity and the multiple research trajectories, methods and projects inspired by Irigaray’s thought.
This year’s conference draws its theme from the figure of the horizon mobilized in Irigaray’s work that encompasses social, political, ethical, and cultural processes in relation to sexual difference; a figure that indicates new possibilities for meaning – meanings that are located, historical and specific to the horizon of their appearance. In particular, we seek to reconsider Irigaray’s call to bring into view the appearance of sexual difference as a question for our time, as well as problematize the centrality of this claim. Does sexual difference open up other horizons of difference or occlude them? How can we conceive horizons of sexual difference?
The 9th meeting of the Luce Irigaray Circle will initiate conversations between this broader context of the figure of the horizon and sexual difference, and invites papers, panels, presentations, and performances that contribute to our understanding of the contemporary world by critically re-assessing and furthering the figure of the horizon and the concept of sexual difference. Please note all creative work and scholarship on or inspired by Irigaray’s thought will be considered. However, the circle especially welcomes submissions that address the following topics for inclusion in a number of thematically organized panels:

•      Decolonizing Sexual Difference

•      Race and Sexual Difference

•      Performativity and Sexual Difference

•      Trans and Sexual Difference

•      the Global South and Sexual Difference

•      Sexual Difference across borders, including Sexual Difference and War, Sexual Difference and Migration

•      Deploying the horizon against itself
In addition to plenary session speakers, the conference will organize thematically appropriate parallel sessions across a broad range of disciplines presented in 20 minute talks/presentations with 10 minutes for discussion.  If you would like to participate, please send the following information to irigaray06 at gmail.com<mailto:irigaray06 at gmail.com> by March 1, 2018. (Earlier review processes are available by request to accommodate travel considerations.)

•      The title of your paper

•      An abstract (max 300 words)

•      5 keywords

•      A list of no more than six reference (not to be included in the word count)
In addition, the Irigaray Circle will sponsor the 6th annual Karen Burke Memorial Prize, awarded to the best paper submitted by a graduate student or recent PhD (PhD awarded in 2012 or later.) The winner of the competition will give the Karen Burke Memorial Prize Lecture at a plenary session of the 2018 conference. Complete papers should be submitted to irigaray06 at gmail.com<mailto:irigaray06 at gmail.com> by March 31st, 2018.
A note on the location: Brock University is located in St Catharines, a relatively small city surrounded by the winemaking Niagara region of Southern Ontario, Canada.  We are a short distance from Buffalo, New York, easily accessible by car or transit, 20 minutes from Niagara Falls, Canada, and a roughly one-hour drive from Toronto.

Dr Laura Roberts
Lecturer, Gender Studies & Philosophy
University of Queensland, Australia

e:  laura.roberts at uq.edu.au<mailto:laura.roberts at uq.edu.au>