[csaa-forum] Call for Submissions & Announcement of Invisible Harm Special Issue

Culture Theory and Critique culturetheoryandcritique at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 05:25:43 ACST 2017

Call for Submissions & Announcement of Invisible Harm Special Issue

Call for Submissions:

Culture, Theory and Critique invites original full-length article
submissions for its upcoming open issues.

Culture, Theory and Critique is a refereed, interdisciplinary journal for
the transformation and development of critical theories in the humanities
and social sciences. It aims to critique and reconstruct theories by
interfacing them with one another and by relocating them in new sites and
conjunctures.

Culture, Theory and Critique is an international as well as
interdisciplinary journal whose success depends on contributions from a
variety of sources, so that debate between different perspectives can be
stimulated. One of the aims of the journal is to break down theoretical
hierarchies and latent intellectual hegemonies. To this end, every
endeavour will be made to incorporate perspectives from diverse cultural,
intellectual and geographical contexts. We therefore particularly encourage
work which addresses and contextualises theories, texts (including cinema,
media, fine arts, scientific treatises, etc.), and ethnographic material
produced outside of North America and Western Europe. We also encourage
submissions of original English translations or introductions / summaries
of critical theory works originally published in other languages.

Essays should not exceed 7000 words, including quotations and footnotes,
and the word count should be printed at the end. In general, articles
should be divided into clearly identified sections with subheadings or
numbers.

Please visit our website (http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rctc20/current)
for instructions and guidelines on how to submit an article.

Greg Hainge, Editor-in-Chief, g.hainge at uq.edu.au

Announcement of Special Issue: Invisible Harm: Science, Subjectivity and
the Things We Cannot See, Issue 58, No. 4, Culture, Theory and Critique

This special Issue recognises the growing centrality of the environment as
a theme that cuts across multiple disciplines, and includes articles by
Karen Jacobs, Magdalena Stawkowski, Daniel Renfrew, Donna M. Goldstein,
Kate Brown and Lindsay Ofrias. These scholars, working within the fields of
anthropology, history and literature, have come together to present
research on ‘invisible harm’, a term used here to capture the broad effects
of increasing environmental toxicity and contamination in specific late
capitalist contexts.

The authors in this special issue note the complex relationship between
state control and scientific production as they trace the material effects
of invisibility within the realms of community, politicians, scientific
networks and the neoliberal state. What is particularly powerful about
these articles is the attention they give to the new subjectivities that
organise around invisible harm, whether victims of contamination,
environmental activists, or state-supported scientists.

This special issue exposes the ways that individuals and communities
encounter the interface of toxicity and scientific knowledge production. In
broader terms, they explore how these subjects encounter late capitalism,
particularly as related to neoliberalising forms of governance and
accountability. By focusing on the subjectivities that emerge in the midst
of toxic encounters, our authors bring to life theoretical perspectives
that are critical to thinking through our collective pasts, presents and
futures.

Introduction to Special Issue
Invisible harm: science, subjectivity and the things we cannot see
Donna M. Goldstein
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1365310

Theorising the new geomancy: the case of HAARP
Karen Jacobs
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1357479

Radiophobia had to be reinvented
Magdalena E. Stawkowski
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1356740

Spectral science: Tracing the conflict zones of Uruguayan lead poisoning
Daniel Renfrew
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1356739

Fukushima in Brazil: undone science, technophilia, epistemic murk
Donna M. Goldstein
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1357480

Blinkered science: Why we know so little about Chernobyl
Kate Brown
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1356739

Invisible harms, invisible profits: a theory of the incentive to contaminate
Lindsay Ofrias
http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14735784.2017.1357478