[csaa-forum] A new book: A TABLE FOR ONE A critical reading of singlehood, gender and time

lahadk@post.tau.ac.il kinneretla at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 06:02:17 ACST 2017

Dear Managers of the listserv list,

I would be very grateful if you could circulate  the announcement of my new
book to the members of the list.

many thanks,

Kinneret

Dear all,

With the usual apologies for cross-postings.

I am happy to share with you the publication of my new book: *A TABLE FOR
ONE A critical reading of singlehood, gender and time* published by
Manchester University Press.

The book was chosen by the Knowledge Unlatched project to be an open access
one. The link to the free version of the book will be available during
September 2017. Once it’s available I will be happy to send the direct link
to you. In the meantime here is a link to the introduction of the book:

https://www.academia.edu/34325555/Cover_and_Introduction_of_
My_new_book_A_table_for_one_A_critical_reading_of_singlehood_gender_and_time
.

If you are interested to write about/review the book my email address is
lahadk at post.tau.ac.il or kinneretla at gmail.com

Many thanks and I look forward to hearing from you,

Kinneret

*A TABLE FOR ONE*

A critical reading of singlehood, gender and time

Kinneret Lahad

"What are you waiting for?" Stop wasting your time" "You will die alone,"
"You will miss the train and stay on your own!" These are some of the
questions and warnings that single women hear on an everyday basis. Single
women are constantly being asked whether they are ''still single,'' or
being bid to get married next or soon. Still, soon, ever-after, waste of
time, waiting, how long, when, all these form part of the rich language of
time.

This book argues that time plays a crucial rule in the discursive formation
of female singlehood and that our common understanding of singlehood is
dominated by underlying temporal models, premises and concepts. By adopting
an interdisciplinary approach and integrating different theoretical realms
and perspectives, this book paves way for a new theorization of singlehood
and time. Lahad's unique approach gives us the opportunity to explore and
theorize singlehood through temporal concepts such as waiting, wasting
time, timeout and accelerated aging. Other temporal categories which are
examined throughout this book as age, the life course, linearity and
commodification of time enable the fresh consideration of our dominant
perceptions about collective clocks, schedules, time tables and the
temporal organization of social life in general. By proposing this new
analytical direction, this book seeks to rework some of our common
conceptions of singlehood, and presents a new theoretical arsenal with
which the temporal paradigms which devalue and marginalize single women and
women's subjectivies in general can be understated. Lahad further argues
that singlehood is sociologically important, because it touches upon some
of the pressing issues in social life and raises fundamental questions
about how people make sense of their lives and organize their lives with
others. Drawing on a wide range of cultural resources - including web
columns, blogs, advice columns, popular clichés, advertisements and
references from television and cinema, the author challenges the
meaning-making processes of singlehood and time. In this connection, the
book lays the ground for a rich, multilayered politicized analysis of solo
living and temporality and intends to be a mile stone in both singlehood
and time studies.

*Kinneret Lahad *is a Senior Lecturer in the NCJW Women and Gender Studies
Program of Tel-Aviv University, Israel

Manchester University Press, August 2017 170pp  978-1-5261-1539-3

The book will be available in an Open Access version during September 2017

Or buy a copy from the MUP website: http://www.manchester
universitypress.co.uk/9781526115393/

Kinneret Lahad

Ph.D. Senior Lecturer

NCJW Women and Gender Studies Program

Tel-Aviv University, Israel

*https://162.academia.edu/KinneretLahad
<https://162.academia.edu/KinneretLahad>*

*New and Forthcoming Publications*

Just Published! Lahad Kinneret  (2017) A Table for One: A Critical Reading
of Singlehood, Gender and Time. Manchester, *Manchester University Press  *
http://www.manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9781526116369/

Lahad Kinneret and May, Vanessa (2017) “Just one?’ Solo Dining, Gender and
Temporal Belonging in Public Spaces”. *Sociological Research Online. *
http://www.socresonline.org.uk/22/2/12.html

Lahad Kinneret, Sabar, Galia; Sabar- en Yehoshua, Naama  (2017) "Doing and
Displaying Gendered Boundary Work among Blended Families in Israel"
*Sociology*, published online first http://journals.sagepub.com/
doi/full/10.1177/0038038516677220

Yodovich, Neta and Lahad, Kinneret (2017) "I don't think this Woman had
anyone in her Life': Loneliness and Singlehood in Six Feet Under" *European
Journal of Women's Studies  *published online first:
http://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/MyWvu8nBCnqFvhcwSBY4/full