[csaa-forum] [Philosophy at Western Sydney Seminar] Helen Palmer, Queer Defamiliarisation in New Materialist Times, 1 March 2017

PhilosophyatWesternSydney philosophy at westernsydney.edu.au
Sat Feb 25 13:06:08 ACST 2017

Philosophy @ Western Sydney - Seminar

Helen Palmer, Queer Defamiliarisation in New Materialist Times

This paper will introduce some terms from new materialism in order to consider the question: what might relational, entangled, enfleshed defamiliarisation look like?  I draw together Shklovsky's original provocations on defamiliarisation as a methodology for perception and Braidotti's recent positing of defamiliarisation as a 'critical distance' (2013, 88) to propose ways that we might reinvigorate, politicise and queer this term in contemporary thought.  I use here the supposed 'paradox' of feminist thought, namely that feminism creates the sexual difference it seeks to eliminate, and then present the ways that this paradox is in fact affirmed within new materialist philosophies.  I present defamiliarisation reinvigorated here with the added political dimensions of agency, orientation and power; as an embodied and multivalent process which is critical at the same time as it is creative.

Helen Palmer is a writer, performer and lecturer at Kingston University. She is the author of Deleuze and Futurism: A Manifesto for Nonsense. She has recently published articles on new materialism and gender, and is currently writing a book called Queer Defamiliarisation and a novel called Pleasure Beach.

Date/Time: Wednesday 1 March 2017, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm
Place: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.54  [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

[Alumni Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>Connect with us on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/philosophyuws<https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>

For further information, please visit: www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.westernsydney.edu.au/philosophy>