[csaa-forum] Call for Papers | The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies 2017

Andrew Hickey Andrew.Hickey at usq.edu.au
Wed Feb 15 08:25:44 ACST 2017

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/491bb13b-fd9f-4ada-8f05-343d6f98aaba.png]
"Global Realities: Precarious Survival and Belonging"
The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies
June 1-4, 2017 | Kobe, Japan

http://iafor.org/conferences/accs2017/?utm_source=IAFOR&utm_campaign=345cf25b6c-ACCS2017_Extended_Submission_Reminder&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_a58968783f-345cf25b6c-194604693
[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/21810482-57f4-4373-80eb-99a9835fec68.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=ddf22b7082&e=0c0b1c2283>

Final Abstract Submission Deadline: March 12, 2017<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=82cb78e767&e=0c0b1c2283>

The theme for The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=b3be04035d&e=0c0b1c2283> 2014 in Osaka was “Borderlands of becoming, belonging and sharing”. In his presentation, Conference Co-Chair Professor Baden Offord wrote “Gloria Anzaldua’s idea of the borderland has become a critical conceptual rubric used by cultural researchers as a way of understanding, explaining and articulating the in-determined, vague, ambiguous nature of everyday life and the cultural politics of border-knowledge, border crossings, transgression, living in-between and multiple belongings. Borderlands is also about a social space where people of diverse backgrounds and identities meet and share a space in which the politics of co-presence and co-existence are experienced and enacted in mundane ways.”

Now we revisit that territory under the title “Global Realities: Precarious Survival and Belonging”. While retaining the ideas expressed by Professor Offord in 2014, this conference will turn its focus on to the precariousness of life across the world, life being understood in all its amplitude. Since 2014 we have witnessed the horror of the refugee crisis in Europe and how borders which should have been crossed have been blocked off by barbed wire fences. The whole context of borders, belonging and survival has shifted resulting in an increase in racism, radical nationalisms, terrorism, infringements of human rights, and rising poverty levels, to mention only a few of the globalised problems confronting our world. The result of such precarity, even of the planet itself, has led to a generalised sense of communal and individual vulnerability.

Raimond Gaita recently noted, “It is striking how often people now speak of ‘a common humanity’ in ethically inflected registers, or ethically resonant tones that express a fellowship of all the peoples of the earth, or sometimes the hope for such a fellowship.” Hopefully, this conference will discuss the ways and means by which a “common humanity” may be aspired to by future generations.

The organisers encourage submissions that approach the conference theme from a variety of perspectives. However, the submission of other topics for consideration is welcome and we also encourage sessions within and across a variety of interdisciplinary and theoretical perspectives. Thematic streams can be found on the Call for Papers page.

In conjunction with our global partners, we look forward to extending a warm welcome to you in 2017.

– The ACCS2017 Organising Committee<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=480432868c&e=0c0b1c2283>

For information about IAFOR's new grants and scholarships for PhD students and early career academics, please visit: www.iafor.org/accs2017-financial-support<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=9a13cde371&e=0c0b1c2283>

Keynote & Featured Presentations
Further programming for The Asian Conference on Cultural Studies 2017
will be announced in the coming months.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/a8b8eb6c-4e5f-4a9d-aca8-b043bafe8817.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=e105ea16b3&e=0c0b1c2283>

Precarious Futures, Precarious Pasts: Migritude and Planetarity
Keynote Presentation: Professor Gaurav Desai

In this talk I will focus on the figure of the migrant in recent Anglophone fiction from Africa and South Asia. I am interested in the continuities and discontinuities in the experience of migration from the nineteenth century to the present, particularly, though not exclusively, for vulnerable populations. I then attempt to connect that experience to challenges posed to us by environmental changes and vulnerabilities in the same time frame. The aim is to think through the figure of the migrant not just as someone who moves from one sociopolitical context – village, town, city, nation – to another, but to think through migrant experiences as they relate to larger planetary concerns.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/511918cb-8cc8-4f89-8eb2-9c0840682d41.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=70fb4508d8&e=0c0b1c2283>

New Youth Idealism in the Age of Precarity: Rethinking Volunteer Travelling
Featured Presentation: Professor John Nguyet Erni

In this lecture, I explore a mobile form of youth idealism in this age of neoliberalism through examining the transnational practice of Volunteer Travelling (hereafter, VT) performed by youth groups in Asia. In a cultural sense, arising from a sentiment of altruistic giving, VT has been majorly animated by the volunteers’ own experience or witness of inequality. This response is endowed with charged emotions to want to change the present moment of wide economic and social deterioration, by co-creating a hope “to make a better world”. Through sacrificing some of their personal interests as well as doing voluntary work, volunteers stand out as figures of what cultural theorist Lauren Berlant has called the “precariats”, who witness inequality but “feel attached to the soft hierarchies of inequality to provide a sense of their place in the world”. The idea of precariats helps us to map out the affective shifts of youth idealism which lays more emphasis on lateral mobility of freedom and creative ambitions than on the more normative narrative of upward mobility in the bygone era. By investigating Voltra (a Hong Kong-based VT organisation established since 2009), I explore how the volunteers constitute themselves as affective agents or precarious bodies, understanding and shaping their engagement as mobile volunteers in new terms of aspirations and feelings of belonging.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/c8506508-0f66-4ac0-8070-be81913c52b4.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=2a3a90c4a2&e=0c0b1c2283>

Buddhist Terrorism?
Featured Presentation: Dr Brian Victoria

Buddhism has long enjoyed a reputation in the West as a religion of peace. It is only in recent years that the long history of those calling themselves Buddhists who engaged in warfare has been introduced to Western readers (see, for example, Buddhist Warfare). In an era in which terrorist acts carried out by those who identify themselves as Muslims attract our attention, it is noteworthy that Buddhists, too, are not immune to this form of religious fanaticism. The historical truth is that in 1930s Japan at least three Buddhist-related acts of terrorism took place. While introducing these terrorist acts, this presentation focuses on the Buddhist doctrine and practice undergirding the so-called “Blood Oath Corps Incident” (J. Ketsumeidan Jiken) of early 1932.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/ae5dd1fc-5bfb-4165-8fc5-a8375968be55.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=006373640e&e=0c0b1c2283>

The Challenges of Doing Cultural Studies Today
Featured Panel Presentation: Professor Donald E. Hall, Professor Baden Offord, Professor Emerita Sue Ballyn & Professor Yasue Arimitsu

Given the rise of anti-globalisation, nationalisms and cultural isolationism, 2017 and beyond will prove particularly challenging times for those of us working in cultural studies. Our four panellists will each speak for five minutes about emerging geo-political constraints on their work, as well as their respective national and institutional contexts. This will be followed by a general discussion with the audience about collective experiences and strategies for individual and collective response to the challenges that we face.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/f78c09cb-a663-4b35-8a8f-4a415cd517ef.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=9be1bfd865&e=0c0b1c2283>

“(…) For those in peril on the sea”: The Important Role of Surgeons on Convict Transports
Spotlight Presentation: Professor Sue Ballyn

Sailing in the eighteenth and nineteenth century was indeed dangerous. Without the sophisticated equipment we have today and out of reach of rescue services, those sailing the high seas did well to commend their bodies and souls to God. The long trip from England to Australia was fraught with difficulties, from storms, doldrums and leaky hulls to serious illnesses on board. It was the surgeons on the convict transports who were often the unsung heroes of hazardous passages to the Antipodes. While their role has not been ignored, it is only through reading their journals that complete maritime narratives emerge. In this paper I want to discuss the work of surgeons on female transports, the importance of their power at sea and on land, their care of their charges and how medical improvisation very often saved a patient’s life. I have chosen female transports rather than male because of the added difficulties the women brought to the weeks at sea: pregnancy among others. The subject is very complex but I hope to be able to offer a general overview of the outstanding role played by these men in the project of expanding the British Empire into the Antipodes.

[https://gallery.mailchimp.com/2b85b3716400c307314124fc4/images/77587cdd-a50b-47b7-96ba-24325e824268.jpg]<http://iafor.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2b85b3716400c307314124fc4&id=9d31817ba4&e=0c0b1c2283>

This email (including any attached files) is confidential and is for the intended recipient(s) only. If you received this email by mistake, please, as a courtesy, tell the sender, then delete this email.

The views and opinions are the originator's and do not necessarily reflect those of the University of Southern Queensland. Although all reasonable precautions were taken to ensure that this email contained no viruses at the time it was sent we accept no liability for any losses arising from its receipt.

The University of Southern Queensland is a registered provider of education with the Australian Government.
(CRICOS Institution Code QLD 00244B / NSW 02225M, TEQSA PRV12081 )