[csaa-forum] Deadline Extended to 13 January: Biennial Conference of the Japanese Studies Association of Australia, University of Wollongong, June 2017 - Debating Democracy in Japan

Vera Mackie vera at uow.edu.au
Mon Dec 12 14:42:43 ACST 2016

> The deadline for panel submissions has been extended to 13 January 2017.

Please share among your networks.
Thanks,
Vera

CFP: Biennial Conference of the Japanese Studies Association of Australia,
University of Wollongong, June 2017 - Debating Democracy in Japan
<https://networks.h-net.org/node/22055/discussions/143968/cfp-biennial-conference-japanese-studies-association-australia>

> The Biennial Conference of the Japanese Studies Association of Australia
> will be held at the University of Wollongong from 26 to 30 June 2017. The
> Call for Papers is now open.
>
> The conference takes place seventy years since the revised Constitution of
> Japan came into effect on 3 May 1947. The same year witnessed the
> implementation of several other important legal and social reforms.
>
> In this Conference we wish to reflect on Japan’s seven decades of postwar
> democracy. We invite participants to consider the constitutional and legal
> system, democracy and civil society, the political economy of postwar Japan
> and the cultural imagining and reimagining of Japanese society over this
> period. As new technologies assume an ever greater importance in a changing
> Japan, this conference will also include a sub-theme of Japanese Studies in
> the Digital Age.
>
> We invite papers on any of the following themes.
>

>    - Debating the Constitution
>    - Democracy
>    - Debating the ‘postwar’
>    - Debating ‘transwar’ history
>    - Diaspora
>    - Diversity
>    - Dis/Ability
>    - Demographic Change
>    - Demilitarisation and Remilitarisation
>    - Decolonisation
>    - Deindustrialisation
>    - Denuclearisation (*Datsu-Genpatsu*)
>    - Dealing with Disasters
>    - Defining and redefining society through the arts
>    - Diasporic arts
>    - Debates in Japanese Studies
>    - Democracy in the Digital Age
>    - The Digital Age and Japanese Studies
>    - The Digital Age and Japanese Language Education
>    - The Digital Age and the Arts
>
> For the 2017 conference, we ask that participants submit proposals for
> full panels rather than individual papers. Panels will be allocated 90
> minutes and may either take the form of three 20 minute papers with 30
> minutes for discussion, or three 15 minute papers, 15 minutes for
> discussant’s comments, and 30 minutes discussion. Full panels will include
> three speakers and a chair or a chair/discussant.
>
> WE ASK SENIOR COLLEAGUES TO FACILITATE THE PARTICIPATION OF GRADUATE
> STUDENTS AND EARLY CAREER RESEARCHERS.

 Panels should include a good mix of senior and junior colleagues, with
attention paid to gender balance, diversity, location and institutional
affiliation. The JSAA Facebook page <https://www.facebook.com/The-
Japanese-Studies-Association-of-Australia-212204828823231/> can be used to
seek fellow panelists, or you may wish to use lists like H-Japan or H-Asia.