[csaa-forum] Hardware Workshop

Ned Rossiter N.Rossiter at westernsydney.edu.au
Thu Dec 1 11:30:57 ACST 2016

Digital Life Research Program
Institute for Culture and Society
Western Sydney University

Hardware Workshop

Date: Tuesday 6 December 2016
Time: 10.00am – 3pm+
Venue: Collaboratory<http://www.collaboratory.com.au/>, 2/96 Phillip St, Parramatta NSW 2150
Convenors: Liam Magee and Ned Rossiter

Summary
Some strands of media theory maintain that to build a concept you need to know the machine. With facilitation by network engineer Dan Hassan, designer Paul Mylecharane and WSU researchers, this workshop is interested in the operational logic of various digital technologies and devices. Gear on the table to test and explore includes:

- Netgear router
- Beacons
- Raspberry Pi’s 2+3
- Arduino board
- LeapMotion
- Nexus Android tablet

If you have other tech you would like to bring along, please feel welcome to do so. We also recommend bringing a laptop if you can.

During the morning session Dan and Paul we will be replacing the outdated proprietary ISP ‘gateway’ with an open and user-visible device. During the session they will touch on how key concepts within networked hardware come directly from militarised notions and will explore what a 'context awareness' in the digital age might look like (not just by visualising all the traffic emitted from our 'smart' phones without our knowledge).You can read more here: http://dowse.equipment/

The afternoon will feature a short, informal Q&A session with Dan, Paul and members of Western Sydney University’s Internet of Things (IoT) group: Jason Ensor, Rachel Hendery, Andrew Leahy, Andreas Kuswara, Liam Magee and Teresa Swist. The session will discuss experiences with hardware-related projects in the social sciences and humanities, and how these relate to wider interests and concerns: digital research methods, technical configurations, interdisciplinary collaborations, grant and article writing, audience participation and engagement, and the politics and ethics of research with the machine.

Bios
Dan Hassan (UK), is a computer engineer active in autonomous co-operatives over the last decade; in areas of economics (Rootstock<http://www.rootstock.org.uk/>, Robin Hood Coop<http://robinhoodcoop.org/>, Economic Space Agency<http://ecsa.io/>, Enspiral<http://www.enspiral.com/>), housing (Radical Routes<http://www.radicalroutes.org.uk/>), migration (No Borders) & labour (Footprint Workers Coop<http://www.footprinters.co.uk/>).  http://danielsan.dyne.org/

Paul Mylecharane is a member of Public Office, Graphic Design & Development, http://public-office.info/

Participant numbers are limited.

Tea, coffee, cakes and muffins will be provided. Group lunch at nearby restaurant / café in Parramatta.

Please register here: http://tinyurl.com/hewe5yk

--
Ned Rossiter
Professor of Communication