[csaa-forum] Reminder: Public Lecture by Dr Romaine Moreton

Kirsten Stevens kirsten.e.stevens at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 07:46:41 ACST 2016

Interrogating Western Media Art Forms in *One Billion Beats* (2016)

Date Friday 2 December 2016

Time 5.00pm – 6:30pm, followed by drinks

Location Monash Law Chambers
555 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne

You are warmly invited to attend a public lecture by acclaimed film-maker
and scholar, Dr Romaine Moreton, entitled *“Interrogating Western Media Art
Forms in One Billion Beats (2016)”*, presented by Monash Arts and the
School of Media, Film and Journalism.

Dr Romaine Moreton is Goenpul Jagara of Stradbroke Island and Bundjulung of
northern New South Wales. An internationally recognised writer of poetry,
prose and film, she has published over 100 poems, prose and short stories
and three anthologies of her poetry. She has also written and directed two
short films, the award winning *The Farm* (2009) and *The Oysterman*
(2012), and is currently working on three feature films.

In this lecture she will discuss the historicising of Indigenous family
storytelling and interrogation of western media art forms performed by her
in her new transmedia project “*One Billion Beats*” -- co-written and
co-directed with Alana Valentine, music and sound design by Dr Lou Bennett,
and visual artistry by Sean Bacon; staged earlier this year at Campbelltown
Art Centre, NSW to sold out audiences.

*One Billion Beats* is a multi-disciplinary work for performance
presentation. Combining spoken word poetry, contemporary theatre
techniques, music, song, and audio visual imagery, it is an excavation of
historical cinematic representation of Aboriginal people in Australian
film, interlaced with an autobiographical reflection by Moreton on her
experience of being both hostage to and liberated from the constraints of
Western paradigms in relation to Indigenous identity. Using a Decolonising
framework to interrogate Australian cinematic archive, *One Billion Beats*
examines the colonial gaze and dissects colonial cinematic representations
of the Indigenous body to assert new frames of understanding by engaging
with works held at the Australian National Film and Sound Archive.

Long after I experienced it, One Billion Beats continues to resound with
the beating of hearts, poems and music, its engaging performer sharing with
us her distinctive life, deep feelings and her intellectual challenge to
racism.  Realtime, Review.

Moreton’s voice will resonate with you long after the show has ended:

*“We are here and we are many,*
*And we shall surprise you by our will,*
*We shall rise from this place where you expect*
*To keep us down,*
*And we shall surprise you by our will.”*

Bravo Moreton. Bravo Campbelltown Arts Centre… This work is a testament to
the one billion people that walked this country before 1788, to their
personal stories and resilience. I stand and applaud it. FBI Radio Review

Romaine Moreton was appointed as a Research Fellow/Filmmaker-in-Residence
in the School of Media, Film and Journalism at Monash University
<http://artsonline.monash.edu.au/mfj/> in 2014. She is currently working
with Therese Davis (Monash) and Chris Healy (University of Melbourne) on
the ARC-funded project: “Australian Film and Television: New Frames of
Understanding.” She is also developing three feature film projects.