[csaa-forum] Invitation: 2nd Memefest/Swinburne Extradisciplinary Symposium, Workshops, Interventions

Lisa Gye lgye at swin.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 10:59:33 ACST 2016

From November 21st to November 28th, Memefest will hold an international symposium, workshops and interventions, at Swinburne University.

Our aim is to connect students, academics from different disciplines and members of the community with refugee and asylum seeker networks and Aboriginal networks in order to research and create socially responsive public interventions.

This year our focus is PLEASURE. We are interested in processes where we can experience pleasure in our everyday lives, which can contribute to radical transformations towards social justice in terms of how we experience and act in the world.

How can pleasure transform the way we live, laugh, listen, eat, create, think, imagine, dream, play, work and relate to each other?

To see the outcomes of the 2014 event see http://www.memefest.org/en/memeblog/2015/08/radical-intimacies-many-different-fruits-our-dialogue/

Pleasure is designed through visual communication, media and technology and it then shapes our aspirations and lifestyles. Aren’t we supposed to have pleasure all the time and does not the promise of success in life promise us a life full of pleasure?  We can choose to follow this path but, in order to be successful, we then have to follow written and unwritten rules - so we need to ask who makes the rules and whom are the rules benefiting?

As a human experience, pleasure can be an illness or a cure and many times it can be both at the same time. It can bring people together, connect them and decrease human suffering. But it can also set them apart and cause harm.

Pleasure is also connected to our use of substances - from food to legal and illegal drugs, whatever we take into our bodies to experience pleasure changes us and the world around us. If you think of it in this way, we experience pleasure many times a day. But how does this make us relate to the world?

You are warmly invited to participate! Please register at
https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/2nd-memefestswinburne-extradisciplinary-symposium-workshop-intervention-tickets-28748618893

Lisa Gye, Roderick Grant and Oliver Vodeb