[csaa-forum] RESCHEDULED Vardoulakis Seminar

PhilosophyatWesternSydney philosophy at westernsydney.edu.au
Wed Sep 14 08:51:10 ACST 2016

Philosophy at Western Sydney University
Research Seminar

Date and Time: Wednesday, 28 September, 2016. 3:30pm — 5:00pm
Location: Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Meeting Room 3.G.54

Paper
People or Power? Agonistic Democracy and Stasis

Speaker  Dimitris Vardoulakis

[cid:6FAF741E-19FA-4578-8D17-7F32415B952F]

Abstract
I start with a double premise. First, that there is dissatisfaction with “democracy” as it is actualized today. And, second, that the dissatisfaction with democracy always returns, in one way or another, to how the “people” or “demos” is conceptualized. Can we think of democracy in a different way? My starting point is to ask what it would mean to take kratos (power) rather than demos as the starting point of the thinking of democracy. I will argue that this is consistent with Solon’s first democratic constitution and that it leads to a thinking of democracy in terms of agonism. My attempt at a definition of agonistic democracy comes from the introduction to my current book project, provisionally titled Stasis: On Agonistic Democracy.

Dimitris Vardoulakis (Western Sydney University) is the author of The Doppelgänger: Literature’s Philosophy (2010), Sovereignty and its Other: Toward the Dejustification of Violence (2013), Freedom from the Free Will: On Kafka’s Laughter (2016), and The Ruse of Soveirgnty: Democracy and Stasis (2017). He has also edited or co-edited numerous books, including Spinoza Now (2011) and Sparks Will Fly: Benjamin and Heidegger (2015). He is the director of “Thinking Out Loud: The Sydney Lectures in Philosophy and Society.”