[csaa-forum] Living Digital Data - seminar by Professor Deborah Lupton 27 June Western Sydney University

Justine Humphry justine.humphry at gmail.com
Thu May 26 11:40:14 ACST 2016

Living Digital Data

Guest Speaker: Professor Deborah Lupton
Centenary Research Professor, News and Media Research Centre, Faculty of
Arts and Design, University of Canberra

Date: Monday 27 June
Time: 11:30-1pm
Venue: EB.G.02, Western Sydney University, Parramatta South campus
RSVP to r.hendery at westernsydney.edu.au

Abstract
In this presentation, I discuss some of my current work addressing personal
digital data ontologies and practices under my 'Living Digital Data'
research program. In so doing, I draw on some theoretical perspectives that
I am developing on the following issues: the social, cultural and political
dimensions of digital data; the notions of 'lively devices' and 'lively
data'; the personal digital data assemblage; and the concept of 'data
sense', incorporating digital sensors, embodied human senses and human
sense-making. The discussion will be illustrated with examples from several
of my empirical research projects.

Biography
Professor Deborah Lupton is Centenary Research Professor in the News &
Media Research Centre, Faculty of Arts & Design, University of Canberra.
Her latest books are Medicine as Culture, 3rd edition (Sage, 2012), Fat
(Routledge, 2013), Risk, 2nd edition (Routledge, 2013), The Social Worlds
of the Unborn (Palgrave Macmillan, 2013), The Unborn Human (editor, Open
Humanities Press, 2013), Digital Sociology (Routledge, 2015) and The
Quantified Self: A Sociology of Self-Tracking (Polity, 2016). Her current
research interests all involve aspects of digital sociology: big data
cultures, self-? tracking practices, digitised pregnancy and parenting, the
digital surveillance of children, 3D printing technologies, digitised
academia, and digital health technologies.

Hosted by the Digital Humanities Research Group and the ICS Digital Life
research program

Dr Justine Humphry | Lecturer of Cultural & Social Analysis

School of Humanities and Communication Arts

P: 9772 6198 | M: 0402 099 140 | j.humphry at westernsydney.edu.au

westernsydney.edu.au

*Member of the Institute for Culture and Society (ICS)*

*Honorary Research Associate of the University of Sydney*