[csaa-forum] Justin Lewis, 'Consumerism & Limits to Imagination', USYD, Fri 8 April, 2-4pm

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Mon Apr 4 09:55:47 ACST 2016

‘Media @ Sydney’ presents

Consumerism and the limits to imagination

Seminar by Professor Justin Lewis (Cardiff)

When: Friday 8 April, 2016, 2-4pm

Where: MECO Seminar Room S226, Level 2, John Woolley Building

(A20)

Abstract:

Consumer capitalism dominates our economy, our politics, and our

culture, even though a growing body of research suggests it may

be well past its sell-by date. This seminar begins with the

screening of a short documentary on consumer capitalism

produced by distinguished British media scholar Justin Lewis, who

makes a compelling case that it is no longer economically or

environmentally sustainable. The presentation will be followed by

a discussion of how our cultural and information industries make it

difficult to envision other forms of human progress by limiting

critical thinking, and keeping us locked in a cycle of consumption.

Lewis argues that change will only be possible if we take culture

seriously and transform the very way we organize our media and

communications systems.

Justin Lewis is Professor of Communication at Cardiff School of Journalism, Media and

Cultural Studies. He has written widely about media, culture and politics. His latest book is

Beyond Consumer Capitalism: Media and the Limits to Imagination (Polity, 2013). He has

also written books on media audiences, cultural policy and media and race.

More information: Dr Penny O’Donnell, penny.odonnell at sydney.edu.au<mailto:penny.odonnell at sydney.edu.au>

Gerard Goggin
ARC Future Fellow
Professor of Media and Communications