[csaa-forum] Flinders Ranges Research / Arts Project

Grayson Cooke Grayson.Cooke at scu.edu.au
Wed Feb 24 10:25:48 ACST 2016

Dear CSAA colleagues,

Hi - I'm writing to let you know about an arts/research project which might be of interest to some of you: it's called "UNSETTLED", and is a critical exploration of colonial ruin in the Flinders Ranges.

It's being conducted by media artists Grayson Cooke and Dea Morgain, in partnership with the State Library of South Australia (SLSA) and the Adnyamathanha Traditional Lands Association (ATLA): http://www.graysoncooke.com/works-and-projects/unsettled.

It's a really exciting project, combining archival research with post-colonial enquiry and media art. We're working with traditional owners at ATLA to see if we can use some of the incredible photos from the Mountford-Sheard Collection at the SLSA, with lovely portrait images by Charles Mountford of the people at the Nepabunna Aboriginal Mission in the 1930s. Many of these images have never been shown publicly, so it's a really important opportunity we have before us.

We were recently successful in our application for MATCH funding from the Australian Cultural Fund - the ACF will match the funds we raise from a crowdfunding campaign, providing we meet the target of $10,000, to support the exhibition of this project at the State Library of South Australia in 2017.

And so, we're writing to ask for your help in making this happen!

We have been self-funding this project for over 18 months so far, and we will continue to fund our own costs in the project. But for the exhibition to happen, we need to hire a range of contractors, like a composer, a programmer, a research assistant, we need to print a lot of archival images, and we will need to hire a lot of technology for the exhibition.

Which is where the crowd-funding campaign comes in. Of course, we're also applying for funds from the traditional arts sources - but given the ups and downs of arts funding in Australia, we feel it most sensible to try a range of options!

The campaign website, with info on the project and campaign video, can be found here: https://australianculturalfund.org.au/projects/unsettled/. All donations are tax-deductible!

And if you have friends or colleagues you think this project would appeal to, please feel free to circulate this email more widely - all and any help is appreciated ;)

Thanks,
Grayson Cooke

--
Grayson Cooke