[csaa-forum] This Thursday! See Sarah Pink explain 'Digital-Sensory Ethnography' and Scott McQuire discuss 'Digital Public Spaces' @ VU's Social Technologies Lab

Isabelle deSolier Isabelle.deSolier at vu.edu.au
Tue Nov 24 11:11:57 ACST 2015

We have a few spots left for this special digital humanities seminar at VU this Thursday.

Prof. Sarah Pink (RMIT) will explain the method of 'sensory-digital ethnography', and A/Prof. Scott McQuire (UniMelb) will discuss how digital technologies have transformed our public spaces (abstracts below).

Seats are limited for this special event in CCDW's Social Technologies Lab, so please RSVP to secure your place.

WHEN: Thursday 26 November, 3-5pm

WHERE: Social Technologies Lab, Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing

                 Building T, Room T109,

                 Footscray Nicholson campus (near Footscray station)

                 Victoria University

RSVP: kim.richardson at vu.edu.au<mailto:kim.richardson at vu.edu.au>

Prof. Sarah Pink: Sensory-Digital Ethnography: Unravelling Energy and Digital Living
In this talk I outline a sensory ethnography methodology and the principles underpinning it. I will argue that a focus on sensory experience, and the normally unspoken, in everyday life can generate novel insights that offer us ways to re-think the assumptions usually underpinning research, design and intervention in the social sciences and humanities. I demonstrate this through a discussion of the Energy and Digital Living web site, which represents the work of a four-year sensory and digital ethnography project undertaken in UK homes from 2010-2014.

Sarah Pink is Professor of Design (Media Ethnography) in the School of Media & Communications and the Design Research Institute at RMIT. A global authority on visual and sensory ethnography methodologies, Sarah continues to develop this field in new ways relating to digital technologies. Her books in this field include 'Doing Sensory Ethnography' (2009), 'Doing Visual Ethnography'(2001), and 'The Future of Visual Anthropology' (2006).

A/Prof. Scott McQuire: Digital Public Spaces

Digital public spaces have often been thought of in terms of online and 'virtual' spaces. But as digital media have become more pervasive, digital platforms are increasingly part of traditional urban public spaces. What happens when the city square becomes a media square? Today digital networks  shape all kinds of social interactions in public. As cities become 'smarter', is the quality of our social encounters becoming any better?

Scott McQuire is an Associate Professor in Media and Communications at the University of Melbourne. His research explores the social effects of media technologies. His books include 'The Media City' (2008), which traces the way in which cities have become increasingly media-dense environments, transforming previous conceptions of public and private space, and the 'Urban Screens Reader' (2009).

--
Dr Isabelle de Solier
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Centre for Cultural Diversity and Wellbeing
Footscray Nicholson Campus
Victoria University
Phone: +61 3 9919 5657
Mobile: 0481 009 501
Email: Isabelle.deSolier at vu.edu.au<mailto:Isabelle.deSolier at vu.edu.au>
Web: http://www.vu.edu.au/contact-us/isabelle-de-solier

Author of Food and the Self: http://www.bloomsbury.com/au/food-and-the-self-9780857854223/
Editor of Food Cultures: http://epress.lib.uts.edu.au/journals/index.php/csrj/issue/view/150

This email, including any attachment, is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. It is confidential and may contain personal information or be subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient any use, disclosure, reproduction or storage of it is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error, please advise the sender via return email and delete it from your system immediately. Victoria University does not warrant that this email is free from viruses or defects and accepts no liability for any damage caused by such viruses or defects.