[csaa-forum] Call for Papers: Independent Publishing Conference, 19-21 Nov 2015

Andrew Hickey Andrew.Hickey at usq.edu.au
Thu Aug 6 08:06:03 ACST 2015

Independent Publishing Conference

Call for Papers
www.smallpressnetwork.com.au/independent-publishing-conference<https://3c-lxa.mail.com/mail/client/dereferrer?redirectUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.smallpressnetwork.com.au%2Findependent-publishing-conference>
Deadline:  29 August 2015
Australian publishers operate in a marketplace with permeable national borders. Australian books – written by Australian authors and first discovered by Australian publishers – are often sold to Australian consumers by international retailers in editions published by UK or US presses.  In The World Republic of Letters, Pascale Casanova argues for the existence of a ‘“literature-world,” a literary universe relatively independent of the everyday world and its political divisions’. In this world, literary influence travels along routes whose topography is generic (or aesthetic or political) rather than geographic.
            Nationality, however, remains a useful shorthand for the combination of circumstances and allegiances shared by Australian publishers, from legislative frameworks to postage costs to literary culture. As we learned from the different trajectory of ebooks in Australia, the lessons of the UK and US are often difficult to translate to the local market. Macro trends play out very differently in local contexts. Indeed, the nation may often be a less relevant category than the state or city, particularly for small presses.
            We are seeking papers that explore the importance and impact of locality, nationality and transnationalism on Australian publishing. Though our preference is for papers that focus on independent publishing, presentations on all aspects of Australian publishing are welcome. Papers from related disciplines, such as literary studies, creative writing and media studies are also welcome. Possible topics might include the following:

·  Convergence and print culture
·  Nationality and marketing
·  Global versus local circulation
·  Indigenous publishing
·  Australian texts in international markets
·  Australian legislation and publishing
·  Sustainability
·  Distribution networks
·  Genre and transnationality
·  Alternatives to nationality as a source of commonality
·  Translation
·  The distinctiveness of Australian publishing and literature
·  Self-publishing and nationality

The 2015 Independent Publishing Conference will be held in Melbourne from the 19–21 November at the Wheeler Centre, 176 Little Lonsdale Street, Melbourne. Academic panels will be held on Thursday 20 November.
We invite proposals by Friday 29 August 2015. Proposals should contain an abstract of 200–300 words. Please include your paper title, institutional affiliation and contact details in the abstract. Submissions should be sent to Aaron Mannion (manniona[at]unimelb.edu.au<https://3c-lxa.mail.com/mail/client/dereferrer?redirectUrl=http%3A%2F%2Funimelb.edu.au>).

This email (including any attached files) is confidential and is for the intended recipient(s) only. If you received this email by mistake, please, as a courtesy, tell the sender, then delete this email.

The views and opinions are the originator's and do not necessarily reflect those of the University of Southern Queensland. Although all reasonable precautions were taken to ensure that this email contained no viruses at the time it was sent we accept no liability for any losses arising from its receipt.

The University of Southern Queensland is a registered provider of education with the Australian Government.
(CRICOS Institution Code QLD 00244B / NSW 02225M, TEQSA PRV12081 )