[csaa-forum] [Philosophy at UWS seminar] Reminder: Bruce Benson: Nietzsche's New Dance, March 11, 2015

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Tue Mar 10 08:50:22 ACST 2015

Philosophy @ UWS Seminars 2015
Philosophy @ UWS presents:

Dr. Bruce Ellis Benson
Professor of Philosophy at Wheaton College

Title: Nietzsche's New Dance<http://uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/research_seminars/research_seminars_2015/bruce_benson>

Date/Time: Wednesday March 11, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm
Place: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.27  [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

Abstract:
In this paper, I argue that Nietzsche employs dance to overcome what he sees as his own decadence. I begin by examining the ancient Greek term mousikê and explain its importance for Nietzsche. Music is not only able to overcome logos but allows us to transform ourselves. As such, it allows us to "understand" in a deeper way and provides an important tool for overcoming decadence (which I interpret in a musical sense, namely, falling out of rhythm). Nietzsche's goal of becoming a good dancer is to be able to say "Yes and Amen" to life.

Dr. Bruce Ellis Benson<http://bruceellisbenson.com/> is the Executive Director of the Society for Continental Philosophy and Theology. He is the author or editor of eleven books, among them Graven Ideologies: Nietzsche, Derrida & Marion on Modern Idolatry, The Improvisation of Musical Dialogue: A Phenomenology of Music, and Pious Nietzsche: Decadence and Dionysian Faith. He has been a Visiting Scholar at the New School, a Guest Lecturer at Union Theological Seminary, a Visiting Professor at the University of Leuven, and Distinguished Visiting Research Fellow at the Australian Catholic University. Dr. Benson has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including a Fulbright Fellowship, a Belgian-American Fellowship, and the Junior Faculty Achievement Award (for outstanding teaching) and the Senior Scholar Achievement Award during his time at Wheaton College, where he taught for twenty-two years.

[Alumni Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>Visit us on Facebook:  www.facebook.com/philosophyuws<https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>
For future research seminars on Philosophy, please visit www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/seminars2015<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/seminars2015>
For further information on Philosophy at UWS, please visit: www.uws.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy>

Mariana Fragueiro
Administration Coordinator, Philosophy Research Initiative
University of Western Sydney
Bankstown Campus Building 5
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW  2751