[csaa-forum] Ethnographic Video Online Volume 3: Indigenous Voices from Alexander Street Press

Milly Morison mmorison at astreetpress.com
Mon Nov 3 08:52:42 ACST 2014

Dear Members of Cultural Studies Association of Australasia,

We are thrilled to announce the launch of our much anticipated Ethnographic Video Online Volume 3: Indigenous Voices!!

As part of the Australasian community of Cultural Studies in this region we would like to let you know about the work that we have been doing to promote the Indigenous voices of peoples from Australia, New Zealand and the Pacific, and give you the opportunity to have a look around the content. We’d be very interested to receive your feedback on the collection if you have any, and to work with you as the collection grows out to ensure it meets academic needs.

I would be happy to provide a one month trial of this collection and a chance to explore the wonderful content we have pulled together from Oceania, Australia and New Zealand as well as from Indigenous communities around the world. If you would like me to activate your trial now please do let me know and I will get that set up.

If you would like to browse through the bibliography you can download it by clicking on the link below:

 <http://alexanderstreet.com/sites/default/files/resources/bib%20-%20Ethnographic%20Video%20Online%2C%20Volume%20III%2014-0930.xlsx> http://alexanderstreet.com/sites/default/files/resources/bib%20-%20Ethnographic%20Video%20Online%2C%20Volume%20III%2014-0930.xlsx

Ethnographic Video Online: Volume iii: Indigenous Voices NOW AVAILABLE!

Volume III complements the preceding volumes by expanding the geographic coverage of the series into Oceania, Australia, and New Zealand, as well as offering indigenous perspectives and voices historically left out of traditional anthropological study. The implicit “us versus them” construct of classical anthropological models is being complicated by cultural and social observations, descriptions, analyses, and works by indigenous scholars, writers, artists, filmmakers, and other commentators who are challenging earlier representations, most of which were by outsiders. The role of the traditional ethnographer is changing, and Volume III is the only academic collection in the world to offer a comprehensive resource of documentaries, feature films, and shorts made by (and often for) indigenous people who allow us inside their world view, interpret their history, and analyze their culture.

At completion, Volume III will contain 500 hours of documentaries, ethnographic films, narrative feature films, and shorts from around the world; 300 of those hours will focus on content from Oceania, Australia, and New Zealand, while the remaining 200 will cover the Americas, Africa, and Asia.

Topics covered are simultaneously local and global, with a particular emphasis on the human effects of climate change; sustainability; indigenous and local ways of interpreting history, culture, and cultural change; and traditional knowledge and storytelling.

Key featured content includes:

*   In My Father’s Country and Dhakiyarr vs. the King, two seminal works from Australian filmmaker Tom Murray, whose work with communities in Arnhem Land, which opens windows onto this remote region of Australia through the documentation of rite of passage ceremonies rarely seen outside the community.

*   Stranger in My Skin–Ray Cotti, which deals with the identity challenges facing many indigenous youth in Australia and around the world. (Created by Darlene Johnson, a contemporary filmmaker from the Dunghutti tribe in New South Wales, Australia.)

*   Award-winning documentaries including Nickel in Kanaky, which won the Jury Grand Prize in the 2014 FIFO Film Festival in Tahiti and tells the little-known story of self-determination of the Kanaks of New Caledonia, as they obtain their share of wealth arising from mining in their country.

*   A strong selection of films from New Zealand, made by or about the Māori people, including:

-Made in Taiwan, a humorous look at the origin of Polynesians

-Aotearoa Earth and Sky: Stories of New Zealand’s Extraordinary Landscape, a journey through New Zealand’s landscape and Māori stories of its creation

-Tuhoe: A History of Resistance, which documents the fight for justice of the Tuhoe people of Te Urewera Aotearoa

*   Films from Sāmoan filmmaker and ethnographer Galumalemana Steven Percival, who has recorded rituals and traditions in contemporary Sāmoa, many of which have not been accessible outside the region until now. (His ethnographic recordings of traditional gift-giving practices and community singing open an invaluable window onto contemporary Sāmoan culture and the challenges they are facing. Key titles include Aia Tatau a Tagata Soifua: Perspectives on Human Rights in Sāmoa,Vivii I le Atua: Exploring Religious Freedom in Sāmoa, and E Au le Ina'ilau a Tama'ita'i: Exploring Gender Issues in Sāmoa.)

*   Films produced by the Secretariat of the Pacific Community, an organization whose membership includes twelve nations and territories in the Pacific.

*   Building Flood Resilient Communities and Harvesting the Heavens, documenting climate change and local communities’ attempts to find sustainable solutions.

*   Films from Larry Thomas, known for exposing and examining social justice issues in Fiji such as poverty, racial tension, and the fate of the disabled, including Compassionate Exile, a documentary exploring life in a leprosy community, and A Race for Rights, which documents Fiji’s political situation at the turn of the millennium from a Fijian perspective.

*   Vilsoni Hereniko’s feature film The Land Has Eyes, the first film from Fiji nominated for an Academy Award, and his documentary Moana: Rising of the Sea, which gives Pacific Islanders a voice in telling what the world stands to lose if climate change continues.

*   Dances of Life, by Catherine Tatge, a seminal work documenting dance traditions from across the Pacific, accompanied by recordings of the 9th and 10th Festival of Pacific Arts, where dance traditions live in a contemporary context.

*   Yokwe Bartowe and Lañinbwil's Gift from filmmaker Jack Niedenthal, highlighting the culture and people of the Marshall Islands.

*   The New Oceania: Albert Wendt, Writer, a documentary directed by Shirley Horrocks, combining in-depth research, travel, and striking archival footage of the personal story of arguably the most influential and well-known Pacific Island writer in the world.

For further information on the series please visit;  <http://alexanderstreet.com/products/ethnographic-video-online-series> http://alexanderstreet.com/products/ethnographic-video-online-series

For more information, or to request a trial please do not hesitate to let me know and I will organize that for you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Milly

Milly Morison