[csaa-forum] An open letter to the Australian universities' Vice Chancellors

Margaret Mayhew mayhemrox at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 10:40:30 ACST 2014

apologies for cross posting. Please share with your networks and email
joyce.wu at anu.edu.au to add your name to this list.

An open letter to the Australian universities' Vice Chancellors,

 Following the ongoing investigation of Prof Barry Spurr at the University
of Sydney, the event raised broader issues of implementing
anti-discrimination policies in Australian universities, with particular
concern to race and gender.

 That there is still a public debate about Prof Spurr’s behaviour is
testament that much more needs to be done about educating and enculturating
respect for gender equality, multiculturalism, and Australia’s Aboriginal
and Indigenous heritage.

 There is opportunity now for Australian universities to be proactive and
reflect on their anti-discrimination policies to ensure that they promote
the values of equality and justice. This means much more than noble
sentiments on the guidelines or website, but rather a set of procedures,
practices, and training to ensure both staff and students are aware of
their rights and obligations to respect each other. For example, in
university performance and job interviews, there is a tendency to ask if
people are aware of anti-discrimination policies, but what is needed is
question about what people have been doing to advance the university’s
anti-discrimination policies. Another example is universities’ response
towards sexual harassment and assault cases. There is a culture of treating
sexual harassment and assault (for example, that take place within student
accommodation) often as an internal administrative issue rather than a
criminal offence to be handled by the police.

 In the case of racist, sexist, homophobic and other anti-social language
and beliefs, it is vital for universities to be proactive and change the
culture which facilitates and encourages such beliefs and behaviour. The
senior staff have a particular role in showing or providing leadership in
modelling ethical behaviour and taking action when they see bad ones. In
the case of Barry Spurr, the context of sending racist and sexist emails
(using university email account) to a number of recipients over the years, when
he is a senior academic whose job is to educate and help students,
demonstrate a failure in both leadership and ethical behaviour.

 We are a group of academics, students, and activists in Australian
universities. Our roles and identities are diverse, but we are writing
because we are concerned about the current climate of increased intolerance to
matters of diversity and equality and its detrimental impact upon tertiary
institutions, staff and students across the country. Since the case of
Barry Spurr, there have been very few in the education system speaking out
to condemn his racist and sexist behaviour. We would like to see the
universities – starting with Vice Chancellors – to demonstrate greater
political will and ethical obligation towards protecting their staff and
students.