[csaa-forum] October 23 Seminar: Ghassan Hage (On the Lenticularity of Life Worlds) and Rimi Khan (Asking About Belonging)

Timothy Laurie timothy.laurie at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Oct 14 15:09:06 ACST 2014

Screen & Cultural Studies Seminar Series

Professor Ghassan Hage (University of Melbourne)
Dr. Rimi Khan (University of Melbourne)

Time: 12pm-1.30pm, Thursday October 23
Venue: 4th Floor Linkway, John Medley Building, University of Melbourne

On the Lenticularity of Life Worlds
Ghassan Hage

Based on my work on the diasporic life world, in this talk I want to highlight a particular experience of living at the intersection of a multiplicity of cultural forms that I argue is most pronounced in diasporic cultures but is part and parcel of all cultural experiences today.

Ghassan Hage is the University of Melbourne's Future Generation Professor of Anthropology and Social Theory and a Fellow of the Australian Academy of the Humanities.

Asking About Belonging
Rimi Khan

As questions of social inclusion and citizenship continue to frame official discourses on cultural diversity, it becomes increasingly necessary to ask about belonging. However the range of cultural formations to which we might belong, and the different sites and strategies by which we claim belonging complicate these efforts to ask. My paper draws from a research project investigating cultural participation, diversity and citizenship, and which seeks to develop a framework of measurement in relation to these questions. In highlighting the difficulty of this task of measurement I consider what is at stake when we ask about belonging – in particular, the disconnect between policy discourses of cultural diversity and the complexity of people’s lived cultural worlds.

Dr. Rimi Khan is a Research Fellow in the School of Culture and Communication at the University of Melbourne.