[csaa-forum] borderlands e-journal, issue 13.1: 'States of Violence'

Anne Begg anne.begg at otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 10 09:38:53 CST 2014

Dear all,

I am very pleased to advise that borderlands issue 13.1, a special issue on States of Violence is now available online: http://www.borderlands.net.au/issues/vol13no1.html.

This special issue highlights Joseph Pugliese's most recent book, 'State violence and the execution of law: biopolitical caesurae of torture, black sites, drones' (Routledge, 2013) which has been nominated for the U.K.'s Hart Socio-Legal Book Prize 2014 and the U.S.A. Law and Society Herbert Jacob Book Prize 2014. Goldie Osuri and Vijay Devadas invited senior scholars, who have addressed states of violence in the context of their own work, to speak to the concerns of the book. The result is a powerful, evocative and timely interrogation of the many forms of state violence visited on citizens in our times.

My thanks to the editors and all the authors who contributed articles: Nadera Shalhoub-Kevorkian, Andrea Smith, Suvendrini Perera, Sherene Razack and Dinesh Wadiwel. Thanks also to Janet Galbraith and members of WTF (Writing Through Fences) for their poetry and to Joseph Pugliese for his review of Rustom Bharucha's 'Terror and Performance'. It has been a pleasure working with you all, your contribution to borderlands and to profound political critique is very much appreciated.

Very best wishes

Anne

Dr Anne Begg
Assistant Editor
borderlands e-journal
C/- Department of Media, Film and Communication
University of Otago
Dunedin, New Zealand

Phone: 03 479 3724
Fax: 03 479 3732