[csaa-forum] Late CFP: Essays on Women and Erotic Fiction

Kristen Phillips K.Phillips at curtin.edu.au
Tue Sep 2 13:22:51 CST 2014

LATE CALL FOR PAPERS:
Essays on Women and Erotic Fiction (working title)

I invite contributions to an edited collection (accepted for publication) which brings together critical research on the cultural significance of 'women's popular erotic fiction'.
Essays on Women and Erotic Fiction seeks to explore the discursive regularities and popular debates framing the production and reception of women's popular erotic fiction; the cultural anxieties and transformations such texts express; the ways in which they reinscribe and negotiate relations of gender, sexuality, race, and kinship; the ever-growing proliferation of subgenres, and their role in shaping popular ideas about romance and relationships, desire and the erotic; the ideological forces underpinning their development and visibility as both a 'new' and 'popular' form.

This collection has been accepted for publication with MacFarland and Co. publishers, and is estimated to be published in 2015. I am looking for a small number of high quality papers to replace some contributors who are no longer able to participate in this project. Consequently, I am interested in contributions which can be ready within a fairly short time frame. I am happy to consider any strong contributions on this topic. However I am especially interested in submissions that address the following topics:

*         Race and/or nation and erotic fiction.

*         The role of popular erotic fiction in reinforcing and/or transgressing the hegemony of whiteness, heterosexuality, patriarchy, the family, etc.

*         The role of this fiction in circumscribing an idea of 'the West', as well as the possibilities offered by non-western forms of popular erotic fiction.

*         The cultural significance of 'literary' erotic fiction and its continuities with and departures from popular erotic fiction.
The publication of E.L. James' Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy clearly marks a particularly visible moment in the apparent proliferation of 'women's' erotic fiction. However, as the collection already includes a number of strong chapters on the significance of this work, I am now looking for contributions which explore other aspects of this phenomenon.

Expressions of interest, including an abstract (250-300 words), a short author bio and list of recent publications, may be forwarded via email to Kristen Phillips (K.Phillips at curtin.edu.au<mailto:K.Phillips at curtin.edu.au>) by 3 October, 2014. Accepted contributions (6,500 -7,500 words) will be due 30 November 2014.

Dr Kristen Phillips
Lecturer | School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Faculty of Humanities

Curtin University
Tel | +61 8 9266 7076
Room | 208.414

Email | K.Phillips at curtin.edu.au<yournamehere at curtin.edu.au>

Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA), 02637B (NSW)