[csaa-forum] Digital and Social Media PhD Scholarships

Ben Light ben.light at qut.edu.au
Mon Aug 25 08:40:46 CST 2014

Hey folks,

With the usual apologies for cross posting, we’re looking for people interested in doing PhDs, see the blurb below.

Cheers, Ben.

Ben Light
PhD MSc BA(Hons)
Professor of Digital Media Studies

Creative Industries Faculty
School of Media, Entertainment and Creative Arts
Queensland University of Technology
Creative Industries Precinct Z1-515
Musk Avenue Kelvin Grove
QLD 4059 Australia

Phone:    +61 7 3138 8280
Twitter: @doggyb
QUT: http://www.staff.qut.edu.au/staff/lightb
Open Access Publications: http://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Light,_Ben.html
Personal Site: http://www.benlight.org

QUT Creative Industries Faculty PhD Scholarships for 2015 Entry

Applicants with excellent academic track records (equal to an Australian Bachelor Degree with First Class Honours) or equivalent professional research experience may be eligible for competitive PhD scholarships to undertake study in the Creative Industries Faculty at QUT. The Faculty is also offering a number of top-ups to these scholarships for highly ranked students whose projects align with our areas of strength.

The Creative Industries Faculty’s world class, industry-connected researchers undertake innovative applied and theoretical research in the media, creative arts and design, and QUT is home to some of the world’s best researchers in digital media, communication and culture, given the highest possible rating of 5 in both the 2010 and 2012 ERA rankings.

QUT's Social Media Research Group (http://socialmedia.qut.edu.au/) is a global leader in social media research, and one of the main contributors to the University’s strength in Digital Media overall. Supported by several major research grants and strategic collaborations with industry, QUT researchers are investigating the use of social media in crisis communication, in news and politics, as a backchannel to television and other media, and in everyday life. We are leading methodological innovation by exploring the uses of 'big data' for studying major social media platforms, by integrating STS and software studies into our approaches to social media platforms, as well as by developing novel mixed-methods approaches that support critical and interpretative analysis.

We are seeking new PhD students to investigate topics such as:

1. The practices of sharing and engaging with mainstream media content through social media;
2. the history and political economy of social and mobile media platforms;
3. approaches to geomedia research, including locative and geosocial media;
4. the structures and effects of follower networks in Australian social media spaces, using social network analysis methods;
5. the consequences of emerging online platforms on the production and consumption of culture;
6. new methods to generate quantitative metrics that describe activity patterns in social media datasets;
7. agent-based simulation approaches for the analysis of networked co-creation of culture;
8. critical and interpretive approaches to user engagement and evaluation practices;
9. cross-platform flows of media content, data and cultural practices;
10. uses, meanings and implications of mobile relationship and dating apps;
11. the making and circulation of gender and sexuality with networked media.

Potential supervisors include:

• Prof. Axel Bruns (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/bruns/)
• Assoc. Prof. Jean Burgess (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/burgesje/)
• Dr. Stephen Harrington (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/harrings/)
• Prof. Ben Light (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/lightb/)
• Dr. Peta Mitchell (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/mitchepr/)
• Assoc. Prof. Patrik Wikström (http://staff.qut.edu.au/staff/wikstrop/)
If you are interested in applying, please contact Axel Bruns a.bruns at qut.edu.au or Jean Burgess je.burgess at qut.edu.au, in addition to following the processes below.

How to apply

PhD program
Doctor of Creative Industries program

Information on the University’s Annual Scholarship Round can be found here.

Closing date: 30th September 2014 (earlier enquiries strongly encouraged)

Further information about the Faculty’s research can be found here.
Looking for a supervisor? Please view our Academic Staff profiles here.

Any Questions?

Contact the Creative Industries Faculty HDR support team at ci.hdr at qut.edu.au or phone +617 3138 3799 or 3138 8591