[csaa-forum] Refractory Special Issue: Intermediations

Holly Randell-Moon holly.randell-moon at otago.ac.nz
Mon Aug 11 10:15:54 CST 2014

Hello All,
The new issue of Refractory features essays from the one-day ‘Intermediations’ symposium hosted last year by the Department of Media, Film and Communication at the University of Otago.
The essays cover topics ranging from 3D film, colour and animation, mobile aesthetics, reality television, affect, transmedia, biopolitics and queer theory.

The issue includes the following essays:

Animating Ephemeral Surfaces: Transparency, Translucency and Disney’s World of Color<http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/thompson/>  — Kirsten Moana Thompson

Vertical Framing: Authenticity and New Aesthetic Practice in Online Videos <http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/ross/> — Miriam Ross

Attached To My Devices: Across Individual, Collective and Panspectric Worlds<http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/farnsworth/> — John Farnsworth

The Ecstatic Gestalt in Werner Herzog’s Cave of Forgotten Dreams<http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/fisher/> — Kevin Fisher

Intermediality and Interventions: Applying Intermediality Frameworks to Reality Television and Microblogs<http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/overell/> — Rosemary Overell

‘God Hates Fangs’: Gay Rights As Transmedia Story in True Blood <http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/randell-moon/> — Holly Randell-Moon

We are the Borg (in a good way): Mapping The Development Of New Kinds Of Being And Knowing Through Inter- and Trans-Mediality <http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au/2014/08/06/cranny-francis/> — Anne Cranny Francis

The issue is available online at: http://refractory.unimelb.edu.au
Enjoy!
Holly.

Dr. Holly Randell-Moon
Department of Media, Film and Communication
6th Floor Richardson Building
Central Campus
University of Otago
Dunedin 9016
New Zealand

Editor
Critical Race and Whiteness Studies<http://www.acrawsa.org.au/ejournal/>

Area Chair, Religion
Popular Culture Association of Australia and New Zealand, PopCAANZ<http://popcaanz.com>

Television Aesthetics and Style<http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/television-aesthetics-and-style-9781623562496/>

------
"Under Thatcher, who ruled us with an iron rod, great art was made. Amazing designers and musicians. Acid house was born. Very colourful and progressive.
Now, no one’s got anything to say. Write a song? No thanks, I’ll say it on Twitter. It’s a sad state when more people retweet than buy records" - Noel Gallagher