[csaa-forum] In commemoration of Stuart Hall: a gathering

Amanda Third A.Third at uws.edu.au
Fri Mar 14 17:34:43 CST 2014

Please circulate…
In commemoration of Stuart Hall: A gathering
Refectory Room, Main Quad.
March 21st 4.00-6.00
Feel free to circulate, RSVP to Elise Moo (Elise.moo at sydney.edu.au<mailto:Elise.moo at sydney.edu.au>) by March 19th

When the news broke on February 10th this year that Stuart Hall had died you could feel the visceral sigh of sadness that swept around the world. Stuart – in his writings, his media work, and most especially in his engaging self – was an inspiration to so many people. Scholars of media, cultural studies, postcolonial and ethnic studies, feminist media studies; activists and artists; students … the list is long of those whom he touched.

In this gathering we would like to pause, and remember him. There will be very short presentations: Catherine Driscoll (Gender & Cultural Studies) on teaching cultural studies, John Frow (English) on Hall and Gramsci, Ann Curthoys (History) on history, race and ethnicity, Elspeth Probyn (Gender & Cultural Studies) on feminist cultural studies, and Gerard Goggin (MECO) on media and power.

Following these short interventions we will continue in an informal mode to talk with further comments welcomed, and armed with a glass we will raise a toast to the memory of Stuart: may he live long in our work and that of our students.

Ann Curthoys
Catherine Driscoll
Elspeth Probyn
[cid:C7B5EC9C-533A-4699-AAC5-B0D7D36A1EEB]
________________________________
Associate Professor Amanda Third
Principal Research Fellow in Digital Social and Cultural Research
Institute for Culture and Society
University of Western Sydney
ph: +61 420 36 47 58 (m)
email: a.third at uws.edu.au<mailto:a.third at uws.edu.au>