[csaa-forum] IAG conference cfp- citizenship

Amelia Johns amelia.johns at deakin.edu.au
Tue Mar 11 08:07:51 CST 2014

Dear all,

Please circulate broadly:

Cfp for Paper Session at the 2014 Joint conference of the Institute of Australian Geographers (IAG) and the New Zealand Geographical Society, June 30th – July 2nd, University of Melbourne.
Sponsored by Cultural Geography Study Group
Format: Standard paper session
Title: Understanding citizenship as orientation; performing citizenship as intervention
Organisers: Adeline Tay (Monash University, Australia) and Michele Lobo (Deakin University)
This call for papers prises open the stranglehold of political-legal frameworks of citizenship, if only to allow for an expanded conversation to take place in relation to what it means to be a citizen, what it means to be oriented towards citizenship, and what it means to enact practices of citizenry. To do so, we suggest, involves revisiting age-old geographical questions of who is ‘in place’ and who is ‘out of place’, casting new aspirations toward ideas of inclusion, participation and taken-for-granted being (and becoming). It involves considering difference as an experimental orientation towards a world where one is intent on learning from things that are happening on the ground, in ways that can provoke new ways of embodying self and others (Fincher and Iveson, 2008</owa/#_ENREF_5>, Stengers, 2010</owa/#_ENREF_8>, Gibson-Graham, 2011</owa/#_ENREF_6>). It involves opening up our capacity to live with difference in ways that are open to non-western/Indigenous ways of inhabiting place. It involves risk, messiness and disorientation as it does a politics that does not quieten passions and emotions (Haraway, 2008</owa/#_ENREF_7>, Bondi and Davidson, 2011</owa/#_ENREF_1>).
We invite papers that are informed by diverse theoretical and methodological approaches that speak to one (or more) of the following citizenship ‘typologies’:

Urban citizenship
Biological citizenship
Digital citizenship

We are interested in rights, duties, responsibilities and habits of living. We are open to scholars working at the interface of the physical and social sciences who interrogate ‘turbulence’ and ‘force fields’ as ways of being and becoming (Braun and Whatmore, 2010</owa/#_ENREF_2>, Connolly, 2010</owa/#_ENREF_3>, Cresswell and Martin, 2012</owa/#_ENREF_4>). We welcome the material texturing of place as generating innovative knowledge of the sensory. We enjoy methodological approaches of engagement which take in creative/artistic practices, participatory action research, visual methodologies, thick descriptions, and visceral writing. We accept anxiety, anticipation, attunement and surprise as proper feelings that sit alongside lived experiences of citizenship.

Please submit paper abstracts of no more than 300 words by 31st March 2014 to Adeline Tay (Adeline.Tay at monash.edu.au<mailto:Adeline.Tay at monash.edu.au>) and Michele Lobo (Michele.Lobo at deakin.edu.au<mailto:Michele.Lobo at deakin.edu.au>).