[csaa-forum] Nature strikes back

Nicole Matthews nicole.matthews at mq.edu.au
Sun Dec 8 23:43:32 CST 2013

I wonder if it would be possible to circulate the attached call for papers
below.  Thanks!

Nicole

**

*Call for papers: *

*Nature strikes back! Genres of revenge in the anthropocene*

*Special issue of "Australian Humanities Review", due for publication 2014*

*Edited by Dr Catherine Simpson and Dr Nicole Matthews*

Cli-fi (or climate fiction) has recently emerged as a new subgenre
describing tales of imminent disaster as a consequence of anthropogenic
climate change.  If Rachel Carson’s *Silent Spring* invoked nature
extinguished, passive or defeated, these narratives of environmental change
present an unexpectedly feral, unpredictable world where an aggressive
nature runs rampant. In this special issue we hope to excavate the
resources of popular genres for talking about risk, causality and the
unintended consequences of human action.

This issue will interrogate the ways we narrate non-human agency.  How do
these stories revisit the spectacle and power of the sublime? Can popular
culture help us re-imagine environments, objects and non-human animals in a
time of rapid ecological change? What is the affective potentiality of
narratives of hubris, revenge and fear?  And how are whiteness, colonial
politics of ‘natives’ and ‘non-natives’, and border policing restaged
across these diverse and composite bodies?  We invite theoretically,
empirically and/or textually grounded articles and welcome articles that
locate Australia in comparative or international contexts.

Topics might include:

·               Comedy, tragedy, farce? Genres of revenge and reaction

·               You couldn’t make it up: fiction, non-fiction and
environmental horror

·               Animals: dangerous, vulnerable, feral, vengeful?

·               Storying the human biome

·               New formations of the disaster movie: back to the 1970s?

·               Zombies, whiteness and climate disaster

·               Actor-network theory and pulp fictions

·               Climate change war stories

·               The non-human point of view in documentary

·               Cycles of destruction: reassuring mythologies of ecological
renewal?

·               Gaia and global catastrophe

·               Frightening the children: apocalyptic children’s tales

Papers should be 5-7,000 words in length and should be in MLA format (the
AHR styleguide is here:
http://www.australianhumanitiesreview.org/about.html#submission ) . All
papers will be subject to peer review and will be published at the
discretion of the *AHR *editors.

Articles should be sent to Nicole.Matthews at mq.edu.au with the subject line
“Nature Strikes Back” by March 8, 2014.