[csaa-forum] CFP: Melbourne Masterclass - TransQueer Methods with Associate Professor Helen Hok-Sze Leung

Fran Martin f.martin at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Nov 7 18:49:05 CST 2013

Dear all,

With apologies for cross-postings, please circulate widely to PGs and ECRs in this area.

Thanks!

fran

Dear all,
PhD students and Early Career Researchers are invited to submit an application to participate in the Melbourne Masterclass below. Applications close Friday 29th November, 2013. Please circulate to all who may be interested.

TransQueer Methods
Melbourne Masterclass with Associate Professor Helen Hok-Sze Leung (Simon Fraser University)
11 February 2014, The University of Melbourne, 2-5pm.

One of the most difficult - yet at the same time potentially productive - problems facing queer/trans studies has been the persistent generalization of Anglo-American theoretical frameworks into specific contexts where gender and sexual practices, embodiments, identities, and knowledges are arguably not reducible to such articulations. In this masterclass, we will engage with this problem of generality and particularity through reflection on our own research and writing practices. We will explore the following questions: What are the theoretical challenges in researching queer and/or trans phenomena that are grounded in local contexts? How might we craft creative methodologies to transform, disrupt or at least acknowledge the limits of hegemonic categories and theoretical frameworks? How might we write differently, across disparate contexts, audiences, languages? In short, we want to consider what queering and transing a field really means, even (or especially) when those very terms - queer and trans and the attendant theoretical frameworks they inspire - may be radically transformed in and by the process.

Biography
Helen Hok-Sze Leung holds a BA in English from the University of Oxford and an MA and PhD in Comparative Literature from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is currently Associate Professor in the Department of Gender, Sexuality & Women's Studies at Simon Fraser University in Canada. She is also affiliated with the Centre For Policy Studies on Culture and Communities, the Department of World Literature and the Asia-Canada Program at SFU. She has published widely on queer cinema and queer cultural politics and is the author of two books: Undercurrents: Queer Culture and Postcolonial Hong Kong (UBC Press, 2008) and Farewell My Concubine: A Queer Film Classic (Arsenal Pulp Press, 2010). She is a co-editor of the Queer Asia Book Series (Hong Kong UP) and serves on the editorial boards of the Journal of Chinese Cinemas (Intellect) and Transgender Studies Quarterly (Duke UP). She has also served as Advisory Board member and Community Programmer for the Vancouver Queer Film Festival.

Call for Participation
The Masterclass is free and open to all PhD students and Early Career Researchers (ECRs).

To apply, please send your CV (1 page) and a Statement of Interest (1 page) to Emily Murray (e.murray at unimelb.edu.au), with a subject line ‘Application for TransQueer Methods Melbourne Masterclass 2014’.

Applications close Friday 29 November 2013 and successful applicants will be notified by Tuesday 9th December 2013. The class size will be capped at 15 participants.

More information
Please contact Associate Professor Audrey Yue (aisy at unimelb.edu.au) if you have a query about the content of the Masterclass.

Organized by: Audrey Yue, The University of Melbourne.

Hosted by: Research Unit in Public Cultures and School of Culture and Communication at The University of Melbourne, and Cultural Typhoon Melbourne (https://www.facebook.com/groups/melbculturaltyphoon/).

In collaboration with Frontiers of Transnational Queer Studies Conference, 13-14 February 2014, Sydney, organized by The University of Sydney, Australian National University and The University of Melbourne.