[csaa-forum] Workshop CFP: Knowledge, Culture, Piracy (Sydney, 21 Nov 2013)

James Arvanitakis J.Arvanitakis at uws.edu.au
Fri Oct 18 08:08:37 CST 2013

The concept of piracy is profoundly intertwined with the development of modernity: from debates around copyright and ownership, to accusations of theft and terrorism. The figure of the ‘pirate’, be it the maritime figure or the copyright infringer, has been inscribed in a narrative of the non-European Other. Pirates have come to define the boundaries and identity of Western civilization.

The opposition to a Euro-American copyright regime that has surfaced with irregular intervals since the 18th century, recently culminating in the file sharing debates, also questions fundamental concepts of modernity, such as those involving the private-public and property rights-free speech dichotomies. This division is particularly evident today as the challenges to copyright reflect a general crisis of property rights; destabilizing the distinction between commodities and public resources evident in the wave of privatization and the distribution of costs and responsibilities in the wake of the global financial crisis.

The goal of this workshop is to explore piracy as a meaningful entry point to the analysis of changing relationships, identities and cultural practices in an era of socio-cultural destabilization that blurs the lines between culture, economy and knowledge. Piracy presents new conceptual dimensions as it connotes both predatory as well as emancipatory practices. How do we research this phenomenon and what new knowledge does it promote?

The workshop is open to addressing a range of questions, such as:

• How do we position piracy in terms of the predatory and/or the violent?
• How do we understand piracy in the context of modernity/modernism?
• How do we understand piracy in the context of (post)colonialism?
• Can piracy only be defined in the context of capitalism?

It will aim to discuss these (and other) questions among the participants in an open and egalitarian manner.

Chairs:
• Professor James Arvanitakis (University of Western Sydney): j.arvanitakis at uws.edu.au<mailto:j.arvanitakis at uws.edu.au>;
• Dr Martin Fredriksson (Linkoping University, Sweden), martin.fredriksson at liu.se<mailto:martin.fredriksson at liu.se>; and
• Professor David Rowe (University of Western Sydney) d.rowe at uws.edu.au<mailto:d.rowe at uws.edu.au>.

Call for contributions
We particularly invite postgraduate students and academics interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research collaborations.

The workshop will be opened by presentations from Sonja Schillings (Free University, Berlin) and James Meese (Swinburne University).

Presentations should not exceed 15-20 minutes. Short abstracts or concept proposals (maximum 250 words) for papers or other presentations/expressions of interest can be sent toj.arvanitakis at uws.edu.au<mailto:j.arvanitakis at uws.edu.au> or Martin Fredriksson, martin.fredriksson at liu.se<mailto:martin.fredriksson at liu.se>.

We accept and review abstracts on a rolling basis. The final deadline for abstracts or to RSVP is November 11, 2013.

For more information: http://www.uws.edu.au/ics/events/knowledge,_culture,_piracy_piracy_as_an_inter-disciplinary_research_methodology_workshop

Professor James Arvanitakis, PhD

Head of The Academy at UWS (theacademy.uws.edu.au<http://theacademy.uws.edu.au/>)
Lecturer - School of Humanities and Communication Arts
2012 Award Winner - Office of Learning and Teaching Prime Minister's University Teacher of the Year Award
Research member - Institute for Culture and Society
Chair/Academic Secretary - Inter-Disciplinary Publications Board (http://www.inter-disciplinary.net)
Member of the Ally Program for GLBIT students
Fellow - Centre for Policy Development

www.jamesarvanitakis.net<http://www.jamesarvanitakis.net/>
Twitter: jarvanitakis

Harper Lee: Real courage is when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.

University of Western Sydney
Building I.2.50 (Kingsood Campus)
Ph: +61-2-4736 0521
Mob: +61-438-454-127