[csaa-forum] [REMINDER: Philosophy at UWS seminar] Allison Weir: Reconceiving Freedom

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Mon Aug 19 14:51:44 CST 2013

Philosophy Seminars 2013
The Writing and Society Research Centre and Philosophy at UWS present:

Allison Weir
Associate Professor of Philosophy and Gender Studies (UWS)

TITLE: Reconceiving Freedom

DATE/TIME: Wednesday 21 August, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm

PLACE: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus, Building 3, Room 3.G.54  [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

Abstract:

In her book,The Politics of Piety: The Islamic Revival and The Feminist Subject, Saba Mahmood analyzes the practices of the women in the piety movement in Cairo, arguing that in order to recognize the participants as agents, we need to question the feminist allegiance to a liberal ideal of freedom.  In this paper, I take up Mahmood's analysis to begin to rethink what freedom might mean. I argue that reconceiving freedom requires that we move beyond the limitations of the "paradox of subjectivation" model that Mahmood takes from Butler, and within which she locates the question of agency, and I sketch some alternative conceptions of freedom.
Biography:

Allison Weir is Associate Professor of Philosophy and Gender Studies in the Doctoral Program in Political and Social Thought at the University of Western Sydney, and is a member of the Institute for Democracy and Human Rights at the University of Sydney, Australia. She is the author of Identities and Freedom (Oxford 2013)  and Sacrificial Logics: Feminist Theory and the Critique of Identity (Routledge 1996). She is currently at work on a new book, Reconceiving Freedom.

For the entire 2013 program of the Philosophy seminar series at UWS please visit: http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/research_seminars_2013

[Alumni Facebook]Visit Philosophy at UWS on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws

Mariana Fragueiro
Administration Coordinator, Philosophy Research Initiative
University of Western Sydney
Bankstown Campus Building 5
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith NSW  2751