[csaa-forum] Creative Labour research seminar - NZ universities, 18 July

Emma B emmablomkamp at gmail.com
Thu Jul 11 12:31:23 CST 2013

The New Zealand-based Creative Practice & Cultural Policy research network
invites you and your colleagues to our third seminar, at 2.30–4pm on
Thursday 18 July 2013.

Dr Bridget Conor from Kings College London will be discussing ‘What does
creative labour mean?' by drawing on her own work in screenwriting. Please
see below for more information about Bridget's presentation.

This seminar will take place in universities throughout NZ via the Access
Grid. These locations are listed on the eSocSci site (but must be booked in
advance): http://www.esocsci.org.nz/contact/access-grid/.

If you would like to attend the seminar, please RSVP by emailing Melanie
Milicich (m.milicich at auckland.ac.nz) to register, stating which Access Grid
venue you would like to attend at.

Feel free to pass this message on to anyone you think might be interested
in attending the seminar.

For more information about the CPCP network, please visit:
http://www.esocsci.org.nz/networks/creative-practice-cultural-policy/;
contact Polly Stupples (P.T.Stupples at massey.ac.nz); or go to
http://tinyurl.com/a6syog8 to join this network.

*Creative Practice & Cultural Policy Research Network: Access Grid Seminar*

*What does ‘Creative Labour’ mean?*

In this talk I will discuss the term ‘creative labour’ and the development
of ‘creative labour’ studies. Empirical investigations of creative work in
the last two decades have materialised work in the “new cultural economy”,
assigning terms to the work creative people do (flexible, project-based,
multivalent), highlighting specific creative occupations (from fashion and
web designers to film and television producers) and analysing subjective
accounts of everyday working lives in the cultural production industries. I
will use my own work on screenwriting as creative labour to reflect on the
development of the term and the epistemological and methodological
challenges it poses. I hope to also facilitate a dialogue about the links,
that I will argue need much more critical attention, between creative and
academic labour.

*Dr Bridget Conor*

Bridget Conor is currently a Lecturer in the Department of Culture, Media
and Creative Industries at King’s College London. Her research interests
include screenwriting work and workers, creative labour, and inequalities
in cultural production industries and she is currently writing a book on
screenwriting as creative labour. She previously studied and taught at AUT
and the University of Auckland.

--
__

Emma Blomkamp

PhD Candidate - Department of Political Studies, University of Auckland,
and Centre for Cultural Partnerships, University of Melbourne

http://auckland.academia.edu/EmmaBlomkamp
http://artsfaculty.auckland.ac.nz/staff/?UPI=eblo006