[csaa-forum] ANZALS Dec 2013 Conference Second Call for Abstracts

Baden Offord Baden.Offord at scu.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 10:51:52 CST 2013

 ANZALS Dec 2013 Conference Second Call for Abstracts

The updated conference website is available below.

http://education.monash.edu.au/research/conferences/anzals/index.html

<http://education.monash.edu.au/research/conferences/anzals/index.html>

Revised abstract deadline are:

Abstracts - May 16th 2013

Additional themed session proposals - 23rd April

In addition to the main conference theme proposals have been put forward for additional themed sessions. These are listed in full on the website and delegates interested in submitting a paper to these should submit to the the convener. In brief the additional sessions are:

  *   Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in Leisure - Convened by Ramon Spaaij ramon.spaaij at latrobe.edu.au<mailto:ramon.spaaij at latrobe.edu.au>
  *   Exploring gender and leisure - Convened by Adele Pavlidis and and Simone Fullagar a.pavlidis at griffith.edu.au<mailto:a.pavlidis at griffith.edu.au> / simone.fullagar at griffith.edu.au<mailto:simone.fullagar at griffith.edu.au>
  *   Domesticated animals in leisure convened by Neil Carr neil.carr at otago.ac.nz<mailto:neil.carr at otago.ac.nz>
  *   Food in the leisure experience convened by Neil Carr neil.carr at otago.ac.nz<mailto:neil.carr at otago.ac.nz>

Conference Special Issue of Annals of Leisure Research

Delegates will also be invited to submit a paper to a conference special issue of the Annals of Leisure Research. Paper will be due by March 1st 2014 to be published in December 2014. Please indicate on your abstract if you are intending to submit to the special issue.

Conference main theme information:

Theme: Understanding leisure in a complex world: Promoting a Critical Leisure Studies

This conference will examine how leisure academics, policy makers and practitioners can develop and harness their subject area to help address significant issues in an increasingly complex world, with its varied and contrasting challenges.

 Our conference theme addresses two intertwined issues:

•         that social, cultural and economic diversity and polarisation is increasing across, between and within global regions; and

•         that this complex environment presents an opportunity for leisure academics to develop a more critical and inclusive leisure studies.

The key question we have for delegates of this conference is where does leisure fit amongst these significant issues and what can leisure studies offer in response to the challenges our society is now facing? We have argued for many years the importance and benefits that can be accrued to society from leisure at a community, family and individual level. How does this now fit within societies affected by such extensive social problems? Can leisure itself in the form of ‘dark’ or ‘deviant’ leisure be part of the problem? Through this conference, we call for a critical interrogation of the place and value of leisure within a rapidly changing global society.

For more details visit our conference website and see the attached flyer

http://education.monash.edu.au/research/conferences/anzals/index.html

 http://www.anzals.org.au/

Conference Convenor Dr Ruth Jeanes ruth.jeanes at monash.edu<mailto:ruth.jeanes at monash.edu>

Please visit our conference website