[csaa-forum] CFP ANZCA preconference: Social, Casual, Mobile: Changing Games
M.Willson at exchange.curtin.edu.au
Tue Feb 5 16:50:52 CST 2013
Social, Casual, Mobile: Changing Games,
ANZCA 2013 PreConference, 2 July 2013, Perth, Western Australia.
Keynote Speaker: Mia Consalvo, Concordia University in Montreal http://about.me/miaconsalvo
Plenary Speaker: John Banks, Queensland University of Technology http://www.playification.com/
Social, casual and mobile games – primarily experienced on smartphones and online social networks – are becoming increasingly ubiquitous, and in the process, changing the ways in which games are designed, understood and, most importantly, played. This preconference will explore this rapidly changing gaming landscape and discuss the ludic, methodological, theoretical, economic, social and cultural challenges that these changes invoke. Importantly, social, casual and mobile games do not exist in a vacuum, so the challenges, changes and continuities in relation to previous digital and physical games and gaming practices are also open for analysis.
Topics might include, but are by no means limited to:
• Design and industry shifts from traditional games to mobile and networked games
• New user demographics
• Virtual currencies, in-game purchases, the .99c price-point and other economic issues
• Games as surveillance and the exchange of user information for game progress
• Zynga: The Rise and (partial) Fall of Facebook’s Biggest Gaming Friend
• Mobile Franchises: Angry Birds, Plants V Zombies, and so on.
• South-East Asian and other non-Western gaming cultures
• Gaming communities
• Gamification - the good, the bad, and the scoreboard
• Convergence and social, casual and mobile games
• The sociality or otherwise of social games
• Shifting landscape from PC and console games to social, casual and mobile games
• Locative games: place and mobility
Paper abstracts of no more than 500 words, or full papers of no more than 5000 words, including a brief biographic statement, using APA 6th referencing style, are due Friday, 29 March 2013 (accepted papers and abstracts will be notified by 15 April 2013), emailed to socialcasualmobile at gmail.com<mailto:socialcasualmobile at gmail.com>.
Pre-conference papers and abstracts will not appear in the ANZCA proceedings; rather they will automatically be considered for inclusion in an edited collection on the topic Social, Casual, Mobile: Changing Games being organised concurrently with the preconference. If you do NOT want your paper or abstract considered for inclusion in this collection, please note this when emailing your submission.
For more details please visit http://socialcasualmobile.blogspot.com
Dr Michele Willson
Associate Professor | Department of Internet Studies
School of Media, Culture and Creative Arts
Tel | +61 8 9266 3594
Fax | +61 8 9266 3152
Email | m.willson at curtin.edu.au<https://hknprd0204.outlook.com/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>
Curtin University is a trademark of Curtin University of Technology.
CRICOS Provider Code 00301J (WA), 02637B (NSW)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the csaa-forum