[csaa-forum] The Rolling Jubilee is Coming!

Melissa Gregg melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au
Wed Nov 14 14:17:36 CST 2012

For those keen to keep track of the discussions generated at Crossroads and elsewhere...

Friends and Colleagues,

Strike Debt <http://strikedebt.org/> , our Occupy coalition, is launching its Rolling Jubilee <http://rollingjubilee.org/>  project on November 15th with a variety show telethon called The People's Bailout. We are going to buy up distressed debt for pennies on the dollar, just like the debt collectors do. Instead of collecting on the debt, we are going to abolish it, and provide relief to the debtors. A successful test run this week has already eliminated a substantial amount of people's debt. Our initial goal is to raise $50,000, which will allow us to abolish more than one million dollars worth of debt. 100% of donations will go to buying debt. If we raise more, we’ll buy more debt. Donations can be made online at rollingjubilee.org. <http://rollingjubilee.org/>   A short video explains the project here. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qs9w1XlJKE&feature=youtu.be>

Tickets are still available here <http://www.lepoissonrouge.com/lpr_events/peoples-bailout/> for the Peoples Bailout telethon at Le Poisson Rouge in New York City, though they are selling fast on account of the all-star lineup, which includes Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel, Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth, Guy Picciotto of Fugazi, Tunde Adebimpe of TV on the Radio, comedian Janeane Garofalo, and Daily Show co-creator Lizz Winstead, plus some special surprise guests,

The main show will be broadcast live at www.rollingjubilee.org <http://www.rollingjubilee.org> .

Our first project, if you missed it, is the Debt Resistors Operations Manual, which was launched on September 17th, and can be downloaded here. <http://strikedebt.org/initiatives/the-debt-resistors-operations-manual/> It offers all kinds of useful advice (including from industry insiders) about how to escape debt. 10,000 copies were printed, and have already become collectors’ items. It is being translated into several languages.

You Are Not a Loan