[csaa-forum] 2nd Call for Papers: Life in the Anthropocene, Sydney Australia July 8-10 2013

Melissa Gregg melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au
Tue Nov 6 01:48:42 CST 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS:

AASG at Sydney: Life in the Anthropocene
http://aasgconference.com
8-10 July 2013
University of Sydney, Australia
5th Biennial Conference of the Australian Animal Studies Group

Keynotes: Cary Wolfe, Sarah Whatmore, Peter Sankoff, Paul McGreevy, Kate Rigby and Siobhan O’Sullivan

The Anthropocene describes a period of geological time dominated by homo sapiens and marked by the significant impact of human activity on the planet. At a time when the natural world is ever more subject to human intervention, interspecies relations face many challenges. If the cultural and scientific moment of the Anthropocene puts ‘us’ in our place, then it is time to reconsider our place with them, the other animals.

This 5th Conference of the Australian Animal Studies Group will bring together voices from a wide range of disciplines and beyond the Academy to examine how new knowledge of human–animal relations requires novel starting points, critical tools and cross-disciplinary connections.

We welcome papers that explore the implications of living in the Anthropocene for human–animal relationships. What is the impact of human activity upon non-human life? How do lessons from the past shed light on present and future orientations? How do different disciplines, institutions and groups (community, government and activist) respond to the myriad issues raised by living in the Anthropocene?

Potential themes include:
Wildness, re-wilding and conservation
Rethinking evolution
Biodesign, breeding, domestication
Imagining human–animal futures
Animals and the law, media and public policy

Deadline for submission of abstract: 7 December 2012.
To register attendance and submit an abstract, please visit the conference website:
http://aasgconference.com/

 DR FIONA PROBYN-RAPSEY | Senior Lecturer
Gender and Cultural Studies | SOPHI
Coordinator HARN: Human Animal Research Network
http://sydney.edu.au/arts/research/harn
CONFERENCE:  AASG at Sydney: Life in the Anthropocene: July 8-10 2013 - http://aasgconference.com
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
J401, Main Quad A14| The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9036 5342   | F +612 9351 3918
E fiona.probyn-rapsey at sydney.edu.au <http://fiona.probyn-rapsey@sydney.edu.au>  |
W http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/gender_cultural_studies/--