[csaa-forum] Petra Kupper, 'Teaching & Disability' + 'Decolonizing Disability' 5 Nov, 2-5pm/USyd

Gerard Goggin gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au
Tue Oct 23 08:15:34 CST 2012

The Department of Media and Communications
and School of Letters, Arts and Media, University of Sydney, present

two talks on new teaching and research on disability
by Professor Petra Kupper (Michigan)
2pm-5pm, Mon 5 November 2012
SOPHI Common Room 822

Level 8, Brennan MacCallum Building
Manning Road, University of Sydney (directions below)

Please rsvp to Gerard Goggin: gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au

Programme:

2-3.15pm: 'Teaching and Disability: Approaches to Disability Culture Programming'

In this session, I will share experiences of programming an ongoing disability culture series, and fostering a research environment that
is disability-centered, and disability-led. As part of our session, I will share a recent documentary created at the Disability/Culture
research symposium at the University of Michigan.

Together, we will ask questions such as:

  *   how can we move through accommodations toward artful engagements with sensory difference?
  *   How can neurodiverse students and teachers engage in experiential work that shares difference as a positive value?
  *   What can research environments learn from the multi-modal access models alive in disability culture?

3.15pm-3.45pm: afternoon tea

3.45pm-5.00pm: 'Decolonizing Disability, Indigeneity and Poetic Methods: Hanging Out
In Australia'

This talk witnesses encounters in Australia, mainly
centered in Aboriginal Australian contexts, and asks what arts-based
research methods can offer to intercultural contact. It offers a
meditation on decolonizing methodologies and the use of literary forms
by a white Western subject in disability culture. My argument focuses
on productive unknowability, on finding machines that respectfully
align research methods and cultural production at the site of
encounter. This is not a talk about Indigenous artists dealing with
what Western discourses call disability: that topic will be a part of
my ongoing studies, as will be work on the presence of what Westerners
call disability in Indigenous literature from Australia and Aotearoa.
In the essay (available from organiser), on which the talk is based, two short creative non-fiction essays
and two poems share how decolonizing methods and my experiences
encountering ‘disability’ in Australia inform my own creative
practice. Drawing on my encounters with Aboriginal women’s poetry and
art making, I use creative/critical methods to find ways of writing
about my own experiences: meditations on the foreigner’s gaze;
disability access and art; connections to country, history and people;
performance studies and its relation to anthropology; as well as
poetry and its relation to critical writing.

Note: The article this talk is based on is available from the organiser (details below).

About the presenter:

Petra Kuppers is a disability culture activist, a community
performance artist, and Professor of English, Women’s Studies, Art and
Design and Theatre at the University of Michigan (http://www.lsa.umich.edu/english/people/profile.asp?ID=1244).
Her books include Disability and Contemporary Performance: Bodies on Edge (Routledge,
2003), The Scar of Visibility: Medical Performance and Contemporary
Art (Minnesota, 2007) and Community Performance: An Introduction
(Routledge, 2007). Her most recent book, Disability Culture and
Community Performance: Find a Strange and Twisted Shape (Palgrave,
2011), which explores arts-based research methods, won the Biennial
Sally Banes Prize by the American Society for Theatre Research. She
leads The Olimpias, a performance research collective (www.olimpias.org).
She is currently at work on two projects: a study
of disability in Australian and Aotearoan contexts, and a study on
social somatics, performance and embodiment.

Venue Information:

Professor Kuppers' talks will be held in the SOPHI (School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry) Common Room 822
(opposite lift), Level 8
Brennan MacCallum Building (opposite Manning House)
Manning Road, University of Sydney (directions below)

Map at: http://www.facilities.usyd.edu.au/oam/blaccess-r02.cfm?fld0=A18
Parking information at: http://www.facilities.usyd.edu.au/oam/blaccess-r03.cfm

Via the Quadrangle Building

  *   Enter Lobby H of the Quadrangle (South West corner / MacLaurin Hall side) and take the lift that is to your immediate right to level 6
  *   Alight at level 6, turn left and continue pass the Kevin Lee Room, the small kitchenette and thought to level 8 of the Brennan MacCallum Building
  *   Continue down the corridor and the SOPHI Common Room 822 is on your left (about half way down the corridor and is opposite the Brennan MacCallum lift)

Via Manning Road

  *   Enter Level 3 of the Brennan MacCallum Building (at the entrance with the sliding glass doors, bordered by four concrete spheres and headed by a grey paved driveway)
  *   Continue around the School of Psychology counter and you see on your right the lift
  *   Take the lift to Level 8 and the SOPHI Common Room 822 is directly in front of the lift

Further Information:

Professor Kuppers' talks are presented by the Department of Media and Communications (http://sydney.edu.au/arts/media_communications/), with support from the School of Letters, Arts and Media.
For a copy of Professor Kuppers' 'Decolonizing Disability' paper, or further information, please contact Gerard Goggin (gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au<applewebdata://92548607-E383-49F0-A473-59C3349C0CF6/gerard.goggin@sydney.edu.au>).

--
Gerard Goggin

Adjunct Professor, Social Policy Research Centre
University of New South Wales

e: gerard.goggin at sydney.edu.au<applewebdata://58CAECF0-6F6E-47A3-9980-953EE0F9094E/gerard.goggin@sydney.edu.au>
p:  +61 2 9114 1218
m: +61 428 66 88 24