[csaa-forum] CFP: Women's Manga in Asia (23-25 January 2013, USYD)

Takeshi HAMANO estakhi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 00:45:00 CST 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS

Women’s Manga in Asia: Glocalizing Different Cultures and Identities
Dates: 23-25 January, 2013
Venues: 23-24 University of Sydney
          25  The Art Gallery of New South Wales

Hosted by:
Women’s Manga Research Project (JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 24320047)
The Department of Japanese Studies at the University of Sydney
The Art Gallery of New South Wales

Women’s Manga website:
http://www.chikushi-u.ac.jp/womenandmanga

OVERVIEW
In most cultures, comics have targeted younger male readers. In the
case of Japanese manga, however, there are works for almost every
generation and life style, and gender boundaries have been falling as
well. Furthermore, since the turn of the century, a global manga boom
has been underway. This has increasingly meant that manga artists are
no longer limited to being Japanese people, nor does a manga
necessarily have to be a Japanese product. Also, the manga boom has
seemingly helped ease the challenges confronting female artists, the
result being that more girls and women have begun both creating and
reading comics/manga worldwide. Thus, it is crucial to explore the
relation between women and comics/manga from ever-broader perspectives
world wide, globally as well as locally.
Our project, “Women and Manga,” will begin this exploration, first in
Asia, globally and glocally. Women now dominate the realm of
fan-created works, and non-Japanese comics for girls and women
contribute significantly to the exploration of gender and sexuality,
including but not limited to heterosexual femininity. It seems likely
that manga played a role in guiding many women to enter the world of
comics as creators as well as readers. Moreover, it should be noted
that there even greater potentials for comics as a cultural arena to
be explored and examined in relation to women, who have not often been
regarded as the main participants in the world of comics.

SUBMISSIONS
The following questions will help define our key themes:

How do “women” voice themselves via comics/manga?
How do “women” represent different cultures and identities in Asia?
What role does “manga” play in relation to “women” or gender
positioning in general in Asia?
How do the conditions of “women” have an effect on comics/manga?
How do genres such as shôjo manga, or comics for girls, attribute
local ideologies and subjectivities in Asia?

global, Asia, manga, comics,

ABSTRACT SUBMISSION
Please submit abstracts of 200 words for proposed 15-minute papers by
email to Rebecca Suter <rebecca.suter at sydney.edu.au> or Fusami Ogi
<fogi at chikushi-u.ac.jp> no later than October 15, 2012. Abstracts
should be in English and include a title, your name, affiliation, and
contact details (mailing address, email) and a brief description of
your paper (200-250 words). We will begin reviewing abstract
submissions immediately after the deadline.

PUBLICATION PLANS
We are planning to have a special issue of an academic journal based
on the conference, as we did for our conference in 2011, which was
expanded into a special issue of the International Journal of Comic
Art Vol.13, No.2, Fall 2011.