[csaa-forum] Australian Anthropological Society Conference: Culture and Contest in a Material World

Anna Pertierra a.pertierra at uq.edu.au
Tue Aug 7 12:34:45 CST 2012

Dear colleagues - *with apologies for cross postings*

The Australian Anthropological Society Conference is not far away! BRISBANE, UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND, 25-28 SEPTEMBER 2012.

The 2012 conference takes place in a global context of increasing awareness that lives are interconnected across the world. Economic circumstances and climate change are two of the clearest indicators that locally experienced and produced culture is linked to the national and international circulation of ideas, commodities and persons.

We seek with this conference to prompt discussion of both stable and contested social and cultural forms evident in the multitude of settings being researched in anthropology. We encourage contributions focused on materiality as well as work that foregrounds idealist approaches to cultural continuities and change.

Please consider joining us at the University of Queensland, Brisbane, for a conference opportunity that seeks to promote the relevance and excellence of anthropological studies both in the academy and applied research settings.

Register now! We ask you to register as soon as possible to assist with catering and conference organisation:
http://www.uq.edu.au/aasconf2012/registration

The Conference Dinner ...with live music!... will be at the Greek Club in South Brisbane and seats at the table are filling up - to reserve your seat click through from the Conference registration page (above).

Pre Conference Native Title Assembly (http://www.uq.edu.au/aasconf2012/native-title-anthropology-pre-conference-assembly ) 12.30-5pm Tuesday 25th Sept, Abel Smith Lecture theatre, UQ Registration is essential and places are limited, so confirm your interest early. To register please contact.

Dr Pam McGrath, CNTA Research Officer, pam.mcgrath at anu.edu.au<mailto:pam.mcgrath at anu.edu.au> or (02) 6125 5859.

Highlights: (see http://www.uq.edu.au/aasconf2012/events )

The AAS Distinguished Lecture and Inaugural University of Queensland Public lecture in Anthropology - Presented by Dr. Genevieve Bell Lecture location: Abel Smith lecture theatre (UQ) Tuesday 25th September 6pm, refreshments 7pm

Conference reception and launch of the University of Queensland Anthropology Museum Online catalogue Location and reception: UQ Anthropology Museum, Wednesday 27th September 5.30pm Ground floor Michie Building 5.30pm

Friendly Soccer Competition! (please contact k.derijke at uq.edu.au<mailto:k.derijke at uq.edu.au> for more details).

See list of Panels and Paper Abstracts here: http://www.uq.edu.au/aasconf2012/panels Full schedule to be released soon!

--We look forward to seeing you in Brisbane --

Conference Organising Committee

Best Regards,

David

Professor David Trigger | Head, School of Social Science
Room 339, Level 3, Michie Building | The University of Queensland | QLD 4072 | Australia
t +61 (7) 3365 3152 | f +61 (7) 3365 1544| e david.trigger at uq.edu.au<mailto:david.trigger at uq.edu.au>
w  www.socialscience.uq.edu.au| CRICOS 00025B

Personal Page: http://www.socialscience.uq.edu.au/david-trigger

Disclaimer: Unless otherwise stated this email represents my views, not those of The University
of Queensland. This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely
for the Use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.