[csaa-forum] CFP: Affecting Deleuze Conference - Auckland - Deadline 24 Aug.

MSCP - James Garrett convenor at mscp.org.au
Tue Jul 10 20:50:17 CST 2012

CALL FOR PAPERS

AFFECTING DELEUZE

A CONFERENCE ON THE ETHICS OF
GILLES DELEUZE
18-20 October 2012
The University of
Auckland
New Zealand

"I would say that Anti-Oedipus (may its
authors forgive me) is a book of ethics, the first book of ethics to be
written in France in quite a long time. … The Christian moralists sought
out traces of the flesh lodged deep in the soul. Deleuze and Guattari,
for their part, pursue the slightest traces of fascism in the
body."
Michel Foucault, Preface to Anti-Oedipus.

"This requirement
persists in [Spinoza's] Ethics, albeit understood in a new way. In
neither case can it suffice to say that truth is simply present in
ideas. We must go on to ask what is it that is present in a true idea.
What expresses itself in a true idea? What does it express?"
Gilles
Deleuze, Expressionism in Spinoza.

What is that peculiar insistence on
ethics that Foucault glimpsed early on? And is it at all engaged with
the complications Deleuze makes with Spinoza and Leibniz -- a curious
ethics expressed in active affectivity of joyous passions contrasted
with the passivity of sad passions?: "Most men remain, most of the time,
fixated by sad passions which cut them off from their essence and reduce
it to the state of an abstraction" (E in S, p. 320). Would we want to
say that the sad passions that for the most part afflict most men are
the micro-fascisms by which we coerce each other, reducing each to a
state of abstraction? How is 'ethics' complicated by Deleuze? When we
read Deleuze and apply his thinking in myriad fields how do we keep a
Deleuzian ethics in sight? How does Deleuze not become a state of
abstraction or theoretical strata, cause of its own fascisms?

Affecting
Deleuze is a three-day conference that aims to focus on the practical
philosophy of Gilles Deleuze, and on practices that engage the
philosophy of Deleuze. We aim for papers that foreground a questioning
of Deleuzian 'ethics' in relation to a thinking that might otherwise
approach Deleuze as method or procedure in practical, or one might say,
creative assemblages. How would 'ethics' differentiate itself from a
politics and, more acutely, from a theory of the ethical?

KEYNOTE
SPEAKERS
Although we are waiting to hear from several invited speakers,
confirmed speakers include

Steven Shivaro, Wayne State University,
U.S.A.
Ian Buchannan, University of Wollongong, Australia
Stephen
Zepke, Independent Scholar, Vienna, Austria
Jan Jagodzinski, University
of Alberta, Canada
Rex Butler, University of Queensland, Australia

 WE
ARE CALLING FOR

Individual paper presentations -- 20-minute
papers/10-minute question time.
We will thematically group papers for
90-minute sessions Or

Panel/group presentations -- 90 minutes
organized according to your own inventiveness

Abstracts (250-300 words
individual / up to 700 words for panel) will be blind reviewed

Abstract
submission no later than Friday 24th August

Some possible themes to
consider for a focus on Deleuze's ethics

Deleuze's Foucault: Power,
knowledge, self
Ethics and the outside of thought (Deleuze and
Blanchot)
Ideas of Reason (Kant and Deleuze)
Aesthetics and Ethics:
Expression and affects
Deleuze with Guattari: Thinking a new
earth
Spinoza's multitudes: Negri and Deleuze

And with respect to a
focus on working with Deleuze:

Space, design and ethics
The image of
thought: affectivity and percepts
Sensations and matter: Bergson and
freedom
Ethics and the post-cinematic
Societies of Control

KEY DATES

Abstract submission no later than Friday24th August
Notification of
acceptance by Monday 3rd September
Conference early registration opens
Monday 10th September
Conference commences Thursday 18th October at
5.30p.m (opening key note and reception)
Conference concludes Saturday
20th October with conference dinner

Conference venue will be at the
University of Auckland (venue details to be confirmed)

REGISTRATION
RATES

Full Registration $130.00 (NZ)
Early Bird Registration (10th to
30th September) $100.00 (NZ)
Student Rate $ 65.00 (NZ)
Early Bird
Student (10th to 30th September) $ 50.00 (NZ)
Conference dinner rate To
be advised
(Credit card and other payment option details to be
confirmed)

SEND ABSTRACTS OR ANY ENQUIRIES TO

Associate Professor
Laurence Simmons (University of Auckland) l.simmons at auckland.ac.nz &