[csaa-forum] Unruly Pedagogies; Migratory Interventions: Unsettling Cultural Studies

baden.offord at scu.edu.au baden.offord at scu.edu.au
Wed May 23 12:00:24 CST 2012

Critical Arts March 2012:
Unruly Pedagogies; Migratory Interventions: Unsettling Cultural Studies
Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies

Guest Edited by Louise Bethlehem and Ashleigh Harris

Critical Arts prides itself in publishing original, readable, and theoretically cutting edge articles. For more information on the history and the orientation of the journal, as well as guidelines for authors, and legal and editorial procedures, please visit:http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/rcrcauth.asp
Critical Arts is now published five times annually (moving to six from 2013) and has been accepted for coverage in the Social Sciences Citation Index and the Arts & Humanities Citation Index (ISI - Thompson- Reuters) and other indexes.

Obituary
Hopeton Dunn: Tribute to the late Professor Aggrey Brown

Introduction

Lousie Bethlehem and Ashleigh Harris: Unruly Pedagogies; Migratory Interventions: Unsettling Cultural Studies

Articles:
Keyan Tomaselli: Alter-Egos:  Cultural and Media Studies

Kelly Gillespie: Teaching disruption: Reflections from a Johannesburg classroom

Rob Garbutt, Soenke Biermann and Baden Offord: Into the borderlands: unruly pedagogy, tactile theory and the decolonising nation

Marcus Breen: Privileged migration: American undergraduates, study abroad, academic tourism

Neil Hertz: Pastoral in Palestine: A Literary/Political Travelogue

Noam Gal: A Way with Nature: Notes on Methodology

Under Fire:
Parag Sarma: The Politics of Curriculum and Pedagogy: Teaching Cultural Studies in North East India

So Why Publish in Critical Arts?   Why read it?

Critical Arts has niched itself in terms of conceptual freshness, textured writing, and experiential analysis
which draws readers into its articles, its narrative
themes and its theoretical explorations. Articles published in Critical Arts are universal in reach while retaining a particularity of context, specificity of content and relevance of topic.
We invite articles which have the potential to influence the ways in which
disciplines represented by cultural and media studies think about themselves in
terms of critical dialogues generated within the South-North relationship, with special reference to Africa. How do people, institutions and constituencies cope within, resist and engage this relational nexus?

*  *  *

Journals come and go. Some stay the course. Critical Arts is one such journal. It has been published since 1980. The journal was started by a young academic novice, providing publishing opportunities for scholar-activists who did not fit the mould. Our board has matured with the journal and young bloods have replaced those who have retired. Our editorial board reflects an age, gender, ethnic, international and geographic mix, much as is found in the pages of the journal.

As editor since 1980, and as an author, I am aware of the challenges that face youngsters in getting published. New, and indeed seasoned, authors are sometimes bewildered at the way that they are sometimes treated by reviewers, editors and editorial assistants, on the assessment of articles, special issues and proposals. Young authors are faced with:

·                     Single-sentence dismissals of their work as being “too wordy, too long; obviously drawn from a PhD thesis.” Thus, in one sentence, many years of intensive study are disregarded, without recommendations – or even the opportunity – for revision.
·                     Criticism rather than critique. This is sometimes disrespectful of the author’s work, affecting their sense of self-esteem and confidence.
·                     Failure on the part of editors and reviewers to offer clear recommendations for revision.
·                     Failure to remain in contact with authors as to the status of their papers.
·                     A feeling of alienation when unsuccessful, thinking of themselves as interlopers, as cogs in someone else’s machine. It takes an act of will to try again.

So, how does Critical Arts conduct itself?

·                     We work with our authors if a paper is deemed publishable, but requires revision.
·                     Our editors and reviewers engage arguments, rather than applying an instrumentalist check list evaluation that forgets what the author is attempting to do. Our reviewers act as readers, they are not just evaluators.
·                     We like to build long-term relationships with our authors.
·                     We understand that young authors need to build their careers, and we hope that their relationship with Critical Arts will be beneficial in this regard.
·                     Critical Arts takes risks. Editors will sometimes over-ride negative reviews if it is thought that the article in question will create debate and feed into ongoing dialogue, thus opening up topics for discussion.

So, if you are an author, what can you further expect from Critical Arts?

·                     Acknowledgement of your submission and correspondence within 48 hours of receipt.
·                     To be treated with respect whether you are a new author or an internationally known guru.
·                     Recognition that not every submission will be accepted; authors will have engaged in a learning experience via the evaluation process that may be arduous and challenging, but rewarding.
·                     If your article is accepted, you will join an illustrious complement of authors amongst whom are included two Nobel Laureates (who wrote for us when they were much younger), luminaries in the field of cultural and media studies, and emergent authors who will one day replace these. Your reputation will grow by association.

What we expect from authors:

·                     To follow the Guide for Authors when submitting.
·                     To have perused some Critical Arts back copies to ensure that we are the appropriate journal for the particular submission, that you have researched the topic thoroughly, and that you have familiarised yourself with previous issues if such a topical thread exists.
·                     To engage in a rigorous learning process.
·                     We expect to be treated with respect and for authors to respect the time taken to secure reviews and our production schedule.
·                     Authors should remain in touch with our editorial office.

Where Critical Arts is Indexed:
Social Sciences Citation Index (SSCI) [ISI ranked]
Arts and Humanities Citation Index
Alternative Press Index
ARTBibliographies Modern
British Humanities Index
Film Literature Index
Humanities International Index
Index to South African Periodicals
International Bibliography of Social Sciences
International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance
Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts
M L A International Bibliography
Periodicals Index Online
R I L M Abstracts of Music Literature

Keyan Tomaselli
Editor-in-Chief

Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies
c/o The Centre for Communication, Media and Society
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban 4041, South Africa
(Ph) +27 (0)31 260 2505
(Fax) +27 (0)31 260 1519
(e-mail) tomasell at ukzn.ac.za

http://ccms.ukzn.ac.za
http://digital.lib.msu.edu/projects/africanjournals/
http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/authors/rcrcauth.asp

Critical Arts Home Page:  http://ccms.ukzn.ac.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=151&Itemid=87

Please find our Email Disclaimer here-->: http://www.ukzn.ac.za/disclaimer

as the only content of the message
ACS List rules, signoff instructions, and other important stuff:
http://listserv.uta.fi/archives/acs.html