[csaa-forum] Thinking out loud: The Sydney Lectures in Philosophy and Society

Dimitris Vardoulakis D.Vardoulakis at uws.edu.au
Mon May 7 09:48:17 CST 2012

The Philosophy Research Initiative of the University of Western Sydney in collaboration with the State Library of New South Wales, ABC Radio National, and Fordham University Press, are delighted to announce the establishment of a new lecture series in philosophy.  "Thinking out loud: The Sydney Lectures in Philosophy and Society" aims to present intellectuals talking about the impact of fundamental philosophical ideas on how we understand society.  The lectures will be broadcast by Radio National and subsequently published by Fordham University Press.

This year's speaker, Professor Stathis Gourgouris (Columbia University), will present three lectures on secular criticism. How do theoretical issues of secularism impact our lives? Has the Enlightenment project to separate politics from theology been successful? Is it possible to reconceptualize a space against religious tendencies of all sorts that is, at the same time, radically democratic? "Lessons in Secular Criticism" provides stimulating philosophical ideas that are critical to the ways we think and understand secularism today. The respondent to the lectures is Professor Nikolas Kompridis (UWS).

Stathis Gourgouris, Lessons in Secular Criticism

Monday 21 May, Lecture 1:  "The Poetics and Politics of Secular Criticism"
Wednesday 23 May, Lecture 2: "Why I Am Not A Post-Secularist"
Friday 25 May, Lecture 3: "Political Theology and Prohibition"

6pm to 8pm, Metcalfe Auditorium, State Library of New South Wales
Free, booking essentials: www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/events_talks<http://www.sl.nsw.gov.au/events/events_talks>

For details please visit: www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy at uws/events/thinking_out_loud/2012<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy/philosophy@uws/events/thinking_out_loud/2012>

Dimitris Vardoulakis
University of Western Sydney
School of Humanities and Communication Arts
Bankstown Campus, 7.G.11
Locked Bag 1797
Penrith, NSW 2751
AUSTRALIA