[csaa-forum] Australian Women and Gender Studies Conference cfp
alison.bartlett at uwa.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 16:30:37 CST 2012
The Biennial Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Conference 2012
University of New South Wales, Kensington NSW, 21-23 November 2012
Call for Papers.
Interventions: Reflections, Critiques, Practices
Feminism has its roots as a political intervention into patriarchy and its institutions. Similarly, Women’s and Gender Studies began as a critical intervention into traditional institutional knowledge. These projects have been successful and fruitful, yet they are also ongoing and ripe for updating and critique. AWGSA invites papers and panels that take ‘intervention’ as a critical and political goal, and/ or as an object of inquiry. As a first principle, we encourage you to reflect on the interventionist nature of your own research. Possible themes include:
- Feminist (and/ or queer) interventions into old, new and emerging disciplines
- Postcolonial critiques of western feminist interventions
- Feminist (and other theoretical and political) interventions into contemporary cultures and societies
- Feminist and/ or queer cultural practices
- Gender, development and crisis
- Interventions into gendered bodies; childhood; adolescence
- Assessments of, and challenges to, ongoing political interventions (eg. The NT Intervention)
- Queer and feminist challenges to heteronormative institutions and corporations
- Showcasing new areas of strength in feminist and gender research, eg. trans, disability studies, fat studies, celebrity studies, girl studies.
- Gender and politics; Gender and education; Gender and technology
Keynote Speaker: Feona Attwood, Professor of Sex, Communication and Culture at Sheffield Hallam University, UK.
Abstracts of no more than 300 words are invited for single papers and/ or panels addressing any of the above themes. Please send with a short biography to awgsa2012 at gmail.com by Friday 27 July 2012.
Professor Alison Bartlett
Gender Studies (M202) | The University of Western Australia
35 Stirling Highway | Crawley | Western Australia | 6009
Tel: 618 64882066
CRICOS Provider 00126G
President, Australian Women’s and Gender Studies Association
Editor, Outskirts: Feminisms Along the Edge
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the csaa-forum