[csaa-forum] Open Reading Group - Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, "An Aesthetic Education in the Era of Globalization"

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Apr 13 09:46:36 CST 2012

[I thought some CSAA members might be interested in this, those outside Auckland are invited to contribute electronically - cheers, Danny]

Kia ora!

As part of our research into the politics of educational and artistic institutions, Local Time will be running a daily open reading group on Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak’s new book 'An Aesthetic Education in the Era of Globalization' (Harvard, 2012), over twenty-three daily sessions beginning on the 16th April at St Paul St Gallery, AUT University, Auckland.  Participation is free, and participants can come to one or many sessions. For those who can't attend, documentation of each session will be shared on the reading group's website, and we welcome contributions from distant readers.

"Spivak’s specific linking of capitalism, colonial knowledge, subalternity, and the politics of indigenous cultural expression gives her work particular resonance in Aotearoa New Zealand. Her more recent willingness to discuss her twenty-five years of experience/experiment in education for the poorest part of the citizenry in rural India alongside her teaching at Columbia University, grounds her writing in the gritty interface between theory and practice."

Information on the reading group, including an introduction is available here:

<http://www.local-time.net/spivakreadinggroup/>

For more information on Local Time: Horotiu at St Paul St Gallery, 16 April - 11 May, 2012:

<http://www.stpaulst.aut.ac.nz/local-time-horotiu>

We look forward to seeing you at St Paul Street!

Local Time  - http://www.local-time.net