[csaa-forum] UQ CCCS Public Lecture: 26 April @ 5.30pm: The Fate of Personal Information in the Digital Era

Rebecca Ralph r.ralph at uq.edu.au
Thu Mar 29 10:04:58 CST 2012

[Image]

CENTRE FOR CRITICAL AND CULTURAL STUDIES<http://cccs.uq.edu.au/lectures> PUBLIC LECTURE SERIES<http://cccs.uq.edu.au/lectures>

[cid:image010.jpg at 01CD0D97.9628A000]<http://www.cccs.uq.edu.au/andrejevic-lecture>The Fate of Personal Information in the Digital Era: Commercial Surveillance Online and Off

Dr Mark Andrejevic

Thursday 26 April, 5:30 - 6:30pm

The University of Queensland Art Museum Building 11, St Lucia Campus (Map<http://www.uq.edu.au/maps/index.html?menu=1&x=G.78&y=6&z=0&xc%5b%5d=G.78&yc%5b%5d=6&id=150&facilityType=&backURL=&mx=0&my=0&mapcoord=?175,123>)

Google and Facebook are in a race to see who can find out more about you. Online companies are teaming up with credit card companies to figure out how to target advertising to you more effectively. In the coming era of "Big Data," much of that data will be about the details of our daily lives thanks to technologies that make it easier than ever before to track our actions, our communications, and even our location throughout the course of the day. Mark Andrejevic explores Australians' attitudes toward the collection and use of their personal information for customized advertising and target marketing. He will present the result of nationwide survey exploring how concerned people are about the fate of their personal information and the measures they would like to take to more effectively control it. He will also discuss the results of interviews with Australians about the collection and use of their personal information in the digital era. He argues that how we regulate the ability of companies to track us will become an increasingly pressing concern in the digital era, and that the time to consider the consequences of the emerging surveillance society is now.

[cid:image011.jpg at 01CD0D97.9628A000]Mark Andrejevic is an ARC QEII Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Centre for Critical and Cultural Studies at UQ. He is chief investigator for the Personal Information Project<http://cccs.uq.edu.au/personal-information-project>, which explores public attitudes toward the collection and use of personal information in networked, digital environments. The Project is also engaged in developing resources to educate the public about managing personal information online in the digital era. Dr. Andrejevic is the author of Reality TV: The Work of Being Watched and iSpy: Surveillance and Power in the Digital Era as well as numerous articles and book chapters on surveillance, new media, and popular culture.

[cid:image012.jpg at 01CD0D97.9628A000]Enquiries

Rebecca Ralph, Events Co-ordinator

P: (07) 3346 7407

E: r.ralph at uq.edu.au<mailto:r.ralph at uq.edu.au>

W: www.cccs.uq.edu.au/events<http://www.cccs.uq.edu.au/events>