[csaa-forum] CFP: ANZCA 2012, Science & Environmental Communication Stream, Extension: 30th March

Catherine Simpson catherine.simpson at mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 26 09:57:58 CST 2012

*ANZCA 2012 ADELAIDE:  Communicating Change and Changing Communication in
the 21st Century*

*
*

*Science and Environmental Communication Stream*

ANZCA invites papers and panel proposals at the annual 2012 conference for
the Science and Environmental Communication Stream. We welcome approaches
from communication, cultural and media studies, as well as STS (science and
technology studies), environmental communication, science communication or
any related discipline.  Focus for papers might include:

    Analyses of conventional (film, TV, print) and social media

    Activism and public engagement with science, technology and
environmental issues

    Post-environmentalism

    Critical studies of science and environmental communication

    New theoretical approaches to science and environmental communication

    Practitioner case studies of Australian, New Zealand, or International
interest

In addition, we also envisage running some panels within this stream that
look specifically at the communication of climate change. As a global
threat, climate change demands interdisciplinary engagement and discussion.
Since the failure to obtain a unilateral agreement on emissions at COP15,
the UN Copenhagen Climate Conference in 2009, the public discourse on the
issue has fractured.  This stream looks to attract papers, abstracts or
panel proposals that discuss some of the communication strategies that have
been used to date in the climate change discourse.  We especially encourage
papers that straddle the sciences and humanities. To illustrate the scope
of the stream we suggest topics that might tangentially be related to
climate change such as peak oil, food security, water scarcity, animal
extinction/adaptation, transport futures, waste, vulnerability, adaptation
and the language and branding of climate futures.

The 2012 ANZCA Conference will be held in Adelaide at the picturesque North
Terrace campuses of the Universities of Adelaide and the University of
South Australia from 4-6 July 2012.

Abstracts due: 30th March

Please submit your abstracts/papers electronically to:

http://sapmea.asn.au/conventions/anzcacom2012/abstracts.html

If you have any questions, please contact:

Catherine.Simpson at mq.edu.au or,

Penny.Wilson at anu.edu.au