[csaa-forum] SAM Seminar at UNSW: Weds March 28: Simon Ellis

Chris Danta c.danta at unsw.edu.au
Thu Mar 22 13:29:00 CST 2012

School of the Arts and Media, UNSW, present
Dr Simon Ellis, Roehampton University
Dancing with myself, oh oh oh (Friendship, Solitude and the Experience of Mediation)

Weds March 28, 4-5.30 in Robert Webster G17

N.B. this seminar is on a different day and at a different location to the other SAM seminars this semester

In this presentation, I'm going to talk about some experiences of dancing on and near screens. Sometimes I see myself dancing, and imagine my mediated/screened self shouting, "Shut up, so that they do not realize that you are here with me" (Michel de Montaigne). What if the relationship between performer and her/his mediated companion were to be thought of as oscillating between friendship and solitude? How might such a conception of our affair with screens and data be useful to dancers, choreographers, film-makers and audiences?

Simon Ellis is Senior Lecturer in Dance at the University of Roehampton, London. In 2008, his solo performance Gertrud was a finalist in the Place Prize, and in 2009 the film Anamnesis (developed with David Corbet, Cormac Lally and Bagryana Popov) was awarded School Jury Prize for Best Film at the InShadow Festival in Lisbon.