[csaa-forum] Readerships and Reception: A Masterclass Series - Wheeler Centre, Melbourne

Mark Gibson mark.gibson at monash.edu
Thu Mar 15 08:22:30 CST 2012

NATIONAL CENTRE FOR AUSTRALIAN STUDIES
SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM, AUSTRALIAN & INDIGENOUS STUDIES
presents

ŒREADERSHIPS AND RECEPTION¹

A MASTERCLASS SERIES

Reception and the negotiation of meaning are key concerns in the field of
cultural production, particularly in relation to authorship, publishing,
journalism, television and now digital media. This Masterclass Series will
concentrate on the ways in which we understand the activity of readers and
audiences and the ways they make sense of cultural products. We will
consider them spatially, temporally and materially, and will cut across a
range of reception practices from in-depth reading to online browsing. How
can we as researchers engage with these changing forms and practices of
readership?  What might we gain by bringing together insights from different
media and contexts of reception? These Masterclasses bring together an
illustrious, interdisciplinary panel of Australian and international experts
to address these questions.

 MASTERCLASS ONE:  Friday 30th March 2012

  ŒThe Persistent Audience¹

  ŒTo counter the Jay Rosen proposal that what we are dealing with now is
³the people formerly known as the audience² - at least in theory and
approach!¹

Prof. Sue Turnbull (University of Wollongong)

When: Friday 30th March 2012 (9.30am ­ 4.00pm) Where: The Wheeler Centre,
Melbourne

Dr Sue Turnbull is Professor of Communication and Media Studies at the
University of Wollongong. Her research interests include media education,
media audiences and television studies.  She is currently writing a book on
television crime drama for Edinburgh University Press and has recently
co-edited a collection of essays with Dr Kate Darian­Smith entitled
Remembering Television (forthcoming 2012), which brings together television
history and memory studies. She is a former President of the Australian and
New Zealand Communication Association and currently editor of the academic
journal Media International Australia as well as co-editor of
Particip at tions, the online journal of audience and reception studies. Sue is
a frequent television and radio commentator and is crime-fiction reviewer
for The Sydney Morning Herald.

Enquiries: Jinna.Tay at monash.edu or Louise.Poland at monash.edu
RSVP: Robert.Kelly at monash.edu
Please include a 100-word expression of interest. Readings will be provided.

Forthcoming Masterclasses Š

  Dr Danielle Fuller
  (University of Birmingham)
 on reading communities