[csaa-forum] 2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse

Joseph Gelfer joseph at gelfer.net
Thu Dec 8 13:16:18 CST 2011

Hi folks

A quick message to let you know about my new book that may be of interest
called, “2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse”:

http://www.equinoxpub.com/equinox/books/showbook.asp?bkid=397

December 21 2012 is believed to mark the end of the thirteenth B'ak'tun
cycle in the Long Count of the Mayan calendar. A growing number of people
believe this date to mark the end of the world or, at the very least, the
end of the world as we know it: a shift to a new form of global
consciousness. 2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse brings
together for the first time a range of scholarly analyses on the 2012
phenomena grounded in various disciplines including religious studies,
anthropology, Mayan studies, cultural studies and the social sciences.
2012: Decoding the Countercultural Apocalypse will show readers how much of
the 2012 phenomenon is based on the historical record, and how much is
contemporary fiction. It will reveal to readers the landscape of the modern
apocalyptic imagination, the economics of the spiritual marketplace, the
commodification of countercultural values, and the cult of celebrity. This
collection brings much-needed academic rigour and documentation to a
subject of rapidly increasing interest to diverse religious and other
communities in these crucial closing years before we experience what will
be either a profound leap in the human story or, less dramatically, just
another mark in time.

Kind regards,

Joseph

--

Dr Joseph Gelfer

Editor, Journal of Men, Masculinities and Spirituality

.:: www.jmmsweb.org ::.

Author, Numen, Old Men: Contemporary Masculine Spiritualities and the
Problem of Patriarchy

.:: http://tinyurl.com/desl9s ::.

Adjunct Research Associate

School of Political and Social Inquiry, Monash University

.:: www.gelfer.net ::.