[csaa-forum] Genevieve Lloyd's Providence Lost @ UWS (Dec 7)

Dimitris Vardoulakis D.Vardoulakis at uws.edu.au
Tue Nov 29 09:59:00 CST 2011

Philosophy at UWS: Encounter the author series

Genevieve Lloyd, Providence Lost

"Encountering the Author" is a series of special events on selected publications in philosophy. Speakers will make short presentations on the books, and the author is invited to respond. The series endeavours to draw attention to important publications, to foster an exchange of ideas and to promote philosophical dialogue.

The next event in the series is on Genevieve Lloyd's Providence Lost. In this provocative book, the leading Australian philosopher proposes an alternative history of freedom. Lloyd traces how the usual distinction between necessity and freedom of the will that governs the discourse on freedom is in fact intermixed with the discourse on providence. Providence thus becomes the cipher of many of our preconceived ideas of what it means to be free.

________________________________
[providence lost.jpg]

Wednesday, December 7
Time: 1.30 to 4.30, followed by nibbles and drinks
Place: University of Western Sydney, Bankstown Campus
2 Bullecourt Avenue, Milperra
Building 3, Room G.55,

RSVP by noon December 5 to s.martinez at uws.edu.au<mailto:s.martinez at uws.edu.au> is essential for catering purposes

Program:
1.30 - 3.00:       Amy Allen (Darmouth College)
Norma Lam-Saw (UWS)
Chris Fleming (UWS)

3.00 to 3.30: coffee break

3.30 - 4.30:       Nick Malpas (University of Sydney)
Dimitris Vardoulakis (UWS)

Respondent: Genevieve Lloyd

4.30 to 5.30       Reception (please RSVP to by noon December 5 to s.martinez at uws.edu.au<mailto:s.martinez at uws.edu.au>)
________________________________

We look forward to seeing you all there.

Best,
Dimitris

Dimitris Vardoulakis
University of Western Sydney