[csaa-forum] Geert Lovink Public Lecture: Social Media Critique (UWS)

Ned Rossiter N.Rossiter at uws.edu.au
Fri Jul 29 10:26:32 CST 2011

Date: Friday August 5
Time: 1-3pm
Venue: BJ1.17, Penrith Werrington South campus
http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/penrith

Respondents: Kate Richards and Juan Salazar

Speaker details:
Geert Lovink, Institute of Network Cultures, http://networkcultures.org

Unlike-Us: From Net Criticism to Alternatives in Social Media

This lecture will consist of two parts. In the first part I will give an overview of the recent rise of studies that are critical of the dominant internet culture. Ever since the financial crisis of 2008-2009 we are witnessing a growing collection of authors who question the free and open ideologies of players such as Google, the realtime paradigm and the move from linking to liking. In the second part I will discuss the recently launched Unlike Us research network that promotes a range of critiques of social media platforms like Facebook and present the emerging movement that both develops alternative software and questions the way in which 'the social' is being played out in concepts such as friends (Facebook) and circles (Google+).

Bio
Geert Lovink is a Dutch-Australian media theorist and critic. He is Research Professor at the Hogeschool van Amsterdam, where he is founding director of the Institute of Network Cultures, and Associate Professor in Media Studies (new media), University of Amsterdam. Since 2009 he is Professor in media theory at the European Graduate School in Saas-Fee (CH). Lovink is author of numerous books, including Dark Fiber (MIT, 2002), My First Recession (NAi, 2003) and Zero Comments (Routledge, 2007). His forthcoming book, Networks Without a Cause (Polity, 2012), investigates the rise of 'popular hermeunitics' inside Web 2.0, large scale (yet invisible) comment cultures and the shifting position of new media (studies) inside the humanities.
http://www.networkcultures.org/

Any queries – please contact Ned Rossiter n.rossiter at uws.edu.au or Kate Richards kate.richards at uws.edu.au

--
Ned Rossiter