[csaa-forum] removal of journal ranking system

Mark Gibson mark.gibson at monash.edu
Wed Jun 1 14:16:07 CST 2011

ERA RIP.

Like others, though, I¹m uneasy about what the alternative might be. There
was always one thing to be said for ERA: it was an attempt to give
recognition to publication outputs rather than give credit only (or mainly)
according to funding inputs. The upside of that was obvious for a field like
cultural studies, where some of the best work has been produced with very
little funding support.

Graeme provides a useful insight into how some assessment of outputs might
survive without journal rankings (via Jon Stratton¹s last email). If his
description is right, then judgements will still be made about publication
quality. It will just be Œin camera¹ (and hopefully more nuanced), avoiding
the unintended consequences of public journal rankings.

Let¹s hope this system does work and that those making the judgements on
quality do so wisely. My worry is that it might also prove too hard (or
perhaps just too bloody time-consuming!) and they end up throwing up their
hands and going back to taking grant income as a proxy for research quality.
It would be so much easier.

Is it worse seeing the journal you publish in ranked B or C, or seeing
publication in general rated at only 6% of research performance (as it was
under HERDC)? It would be nice to think that we can do better than both, but
I don¹t think there¹s any certainty.

Mark